buzzing vibration from pedal and wobbly speedo!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

buzzing vibration from pedal and wobbly speedo!

Post by TomH »

hi!
My Zx seems to have no end of problems lately...oh well. Engine sounds rough on acceleration but I'm ignoring that for now since at least it runs!
Anyway, latest issue is an unpleasant vibration through the accelerator pedal. A buzzing sensation that really tingles my toes!!
However it is only between around 30-60 mph. The speedo is wobbling around a lot between these speeds too! Any ideas?
I have also noticed a creaking noise coming from the front offside brake when pressing the brake pedal. Could these be related and the brake is sticking?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Buzzing & tingling acc pedal is most often a problem with engine mounts [;)]
Engine may be in direct metal to metal contact with chassis body somewhere, which may also explain the rough sound from engine.
Could very well be an engine fitted part loose in mounting, like the heatshield for hot air intake, known to give odd resonance noises at certain engine rpm's.
shammur
My Cars:

Post by shammur »

rough engine sound - u might wanna check on those fuel pump underneath back seat or try to change other brand of petrol.
speedometer wobbling - happens to most ZX, jus let it be till its really stops, then only u look into it, if DIY its quit tedious 1 hour time, changing the cable.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That speedo problem is only a problem when it don't wobble. My ZX speedo wobble only became less when I replaced the bottom half of the cable from the gear box to the first joint. I found that it then only wobbled a little. As for the engine noise and vibration my ZX had the same when I bought it and it turned out to be the bottom engine mount (underneath engine at the back) had gone and the engine was resting on the exhust. Easy to see but I think the replacement is a pig as it's part of the drive sahft bearing housing, but then again you may be able to drift out the old one and replace.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I mentioned the speedo because it didn't used to do it, and it only does it between 30-60mph. Either side of that it is nice and steady. (though indicates I am doing 5 mph when parked!)
engine mounts huh? ok well will get Haynes out and have a look because I don't know a lot about that! Is it dangerous to drive in that state then? [:I]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Dangerous. I think a lot depends on your view on life & death. Drove my ZX for a couple of months like that before sorting. I don't think it does the car any favours though.