Acceleration issues C5 estate 1.6 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eearle8

Acceleration issues C5 estate 1.6 hdi

Post by Eearle8 »

Hey all,

First post here so excuse ignorance.

I'm having issues with my 1.6 HDi C5 estate 2009.

Symptoms:
- low acceleration
- even lower power going up hills in higher gears
- cruise control disengages and won't come back (worked for about 10 mins earlier today and gave me hope, then died again)

What I've tried:
- injector cleaner in fuel
- new fuel filter

All suggestions welcome
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Acceleration issues C5 estate 1.6 hdi

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to get it properly diagnosed. Your car has obviously got a fault and this causes the engine ECU to put the vehicle in 'reduced power mode' which is likely why you have acceleration issues, as the revs are limited. The cutting of the cruise control function is another feature that is cut when the fault (s) you have are active.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Eearle8

Post by Eearle8 »

Hey guys sorry never seen the replies, spot the newbie.

Marc,
I took your advice and checked the obd and got a p0299 error for turbo underboost. I notice an oil leak on the pick up pipe on the turbo when doing this and replaced that. But hasn't solved it yet. However I did get cruise control back once or twice since but still not full power. I am thinking of replacing the sensor in there itself but am I just flogging a dead horse here.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if any of the rubber pipes between the turbo and the intake manifold have got holes in them? I know that (on my current C5) the jubilee clip that secured the rubber pipe to the metal output pipe (of the turbo) was missing, so some of the air was escaping, causing a low pressure error. A jubilee clip sorted that out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Have a look Devil Car .

You are showing symptoms i had and the same fault code P0299.
Within the link there is a detailed breakdown of P0299 and the turbo solenoid valve can be overlooked in services. It has a filter same a household hoover and if its blocked can cause all sorts of issues.
I had the cruise/limiter working ok but once it went off line it needed a restart for it to work again for maybe 5-10 mins before failing again.
Worth a read through just for similarities of oil leaking/P0299 and symptoms and being the same engine albeit yours is 1 year younger.

Colin
Eearle8

Post by Eearle8 »

James,

I had that issue about 3 years ago when a rubber seal went driving home. Cost about 20 quid to fix so happy days. Can't hear or see anything now. On that line.

Could be on to something there Colin, will take a look thanks 👍
Eearle8

Post by Eearle8 »

SOLVED

@admiral51 Colin, you were on the ball there with that one. Got to it yesterday.

Mine doesn't have the filter but I found a YouTube video to say you can rinse it with brake fluid. Did that and she is back baby!!

If anyone is looking for that solenoid valve it's actually below the airbox at the very back of the engine. Was easier go at it from the bottom. Remove the electronic component first then take off the bottom nut and loosen the top one. When you can get it free it's easy then to remote the 3 small pipes.
I marked them 1,2,3 with a tipex pen to make it easy put them back. Then using a bike pump I pushed some brake fluid thru the chamber. Cleaned it all off then and blew it all dry with the pump.
Putting it back was fine then just the reverse of taking it off. If you felt the need to get a new one they're about 50 quid.

Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Really pleased you have got your girl back to good health =D>

It will have a filter in it somewhere and the quote below is from page 10 in the Devil car thread i should have read it before mentioning about the hoover type filter #-o
MikeT wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 18:28 After opening, I found the old solenoid valve had a very dirty atmospheric port filter. It uses that same silk-screen type fabric found in kettles to trap limescale.
It was overlooked initially as it was blacker than a coal-face and just looked like a cylindrical plastic spacer for the rubber diaphragm when removed.
Not seen Mike T on here for a while but getting it sorted was a team effort and this forum is a vast vault of information :-D

Colin