C5 2008 (X7 ?) Turbo Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

C5 2008 (X7 ?) Turbo Fault

Post by admiral51 »

Finally my C5 has given me a kick after 7 years of pretty trouble free motoring :(

It is a 2008 1.6 Hdi so one of the early new shape models.
I have the service light on and it says risk of particle filter risk of clogging. I originally tried to regen it by taking it on a long motorway drive but still says the same.
I have taken it into a garage and they have said that the turbo is showing low pressure on the inlet side, and to be fair as it is the wife's daily drive i very rarely get to drive it,but i have noticed that some times when you put your foot down there is no boost, lift off for a split second and foot down and lots of boost so i guess they could be correct in pointing at the turbo.
The car drives fine, given that the good lady has a heavy right foot it still turns in 45 mpg which to me says all is not lost.
However i have been quoted 14 hrs labour to change the turbo as they are saying they need to take sump off to check strainer etc etc :twisted:
The turbo itself is less than £400 which from what i understand is supposed to be a 4 hr job.
I am unsure if the garage has Lexia or Diagbox ?
I only have limited access to Citroen Service but i believe the Turbo is mechanically activated not electrical.
Vin number VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
The car is due an oil and filter change, fuel and air filter also.
There are people on here with much more knowledge than me so here is the question :lol:

Should i just get the filters/oil changed and fit the turbo changed or scrap the car as i cannot afford to spend upwards of £1800+ vat on a car worth £ 1500 tops ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 2008 (X7 ?) Turbo Fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm assuming you have not taken it to a Main Dealer?

I would be very cautious about a first diagnosis - and that sounds excessive to me! What you should do is to get it on Diagbox and let is see the fault codes first of all. The risk of clogging message is associated with the Particle filter for a start. Given the age, it could be that the Diesel Particulate Filter needs cleaning out or replacing. They have a limited life. How many miles has it done for starters? That will give me a clue - but of course this can vary depending on type of driving. Although the filter can cope with city driving, lots of regular start stop driving is not going to help with natural regeneration and will result in more assisted regeneration taking place.

Before you do anything I would get it properly diagnosed with Diagbox and get the fault codes so we can investigate further for you.

This warning can come on and off - and is usually cleared with a reasonable trip travelling at higher revs and for a decent spin in order to allow the system to regenerate.

Take it for a goos spin on a dual carriageway or motorway if possible and keep it on 4th gear at 50-60 for a good 20 minutes or so. That will get the engine to temperature and allow a regeneration to take place.

Short trips, as I said, can interrupt the regeneration cycle. Especially if the engine is stopped in mid-cycle. It will continue to try for a a few more attempts, applyin a different regeneration strategy each time until the soot levels get too high and it can no longer regenerate. So while you have this warning on -avoid short trips to the shops and get it on a good long trip so it can regenerate. That's my first and cheapest advice to you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Never a main stealer Marc :)
It has done 110k but has already cost me £250 for the diag and hire car for the week, i need to work to pay the bills so already out of pocket lol
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I have taken it the last 3 weeks daily on a 30 mile trip each way to work and back and 4th gear at high revs and still no joy, but i agree i need a lexia/diag session but that costs and i am thinking of just running it till it goes into limp mode :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have a look at the Lexia owners list to see if somebody can do both a diagnostic for you and possibly a forced regeneration at the same time.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

Marc
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi admiral :D I have the same car/engine? only three years older.
Yes, the turbo failing can cost those repairs but don't go ahead with it as saying the turbo pressure is low is a not a definitive diagnosis of turbo failure - they have issues with the vacuum lines leaking and and/or the solenoid not working correctly causing intermittent loss of power, often after coming to a stop and pulling away again
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Mike, and me and you are not that far away, unless of course you have moved from the hell hole ( roadworks ) :)

Guess the 1.6 is the same engine as yours, but still have doubts that it is the Turbo, think there is an issue that leads to the Turbo being the called the fault as it still boosts and the problem is not always there with the Turbo.
Love the car, not giving up on it yet
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yes, still in the area. And have Lexia if it's any help to you.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Mike i think i may need to pay you a visit with some of them beer tokens things :)

Have found out a little bit more about what has been attempted to sort the car.
When it was dropped off at a place i trust 110% he managed to talk to the car ( okay he is not a car whisperer ) via his diag equipment he managed to get it to start a forced regen of the DPF but it stopped after about 10 mins and and showed it stopped because of a fault but was not able to see what the fault was that stopped the forced regen and when he ran another diag check no fault shown even though the service light was on and pinged up risk of particle filter clogging on the dash.
He sent the car to someone else and they have diagnosed low pressure on the inlet side of the Turbo, gave him the costs for them to do the job, he told them not a hope in hell and now i have the car back minus quite a few beer tokens :(

Now today SWMBO has been driving the car and all was well until she stopped at a set of lights, went to pull away and intermittent loss of power for about 10 secs, flat for a second or so then power then nothing then power.
Foot off go pedal for a sec or so, foot down and full boost and has been fine for her remaining 14 miles drive, even when pulling away from a stop.

Still love the car and Swmbo lol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If there are issues with the fuelling, air, emissions systems or components, the engine management will affect a backup mode. Depending upon the error, this may prevent forced regeneration of the system taking place. This is to prevent damage, as a forced regeneration can take a heavy toll on the vehicle components.

A Diagbox session is really your best bet as to understanding the fault codes.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for that Marc just trying to give as much info as i can so you all can point me in the right direction :)

Mike you are going to get a shed load of beer tokens soon i hope :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sure, let us know when you'd like to come over :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Pm sent Mike :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Right i have been looking on service.com to try and get an idea of prices for various pipe work but cannot narrow down the vacuum pipes to the solenoid, maybe my access is too limited.
Have looked at the car tonight and the pipework leading into the turbo has a broken sleeve/insert part number 00001434C8 it is in 2 pieces.
I am a total noob with turbo workings and pipe work but assume this has no impact on anything.

Will wait until i get a Diagbox session on the car before posting more nonsense apart from saying the car has behaved itself today, no issues :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

If that's the intake pipe to the turbo and is leaking that will upset the MAF reading and cause driveability problems so you may well have solved the problem! In the meantime, give it a good wrap of gaffa tape to minimise the leak it should make a world of difference. Just make sure it can't be sucked into the turbo Second thoughts, it also means the turbo can suck any manner of nasties into it's compressor wheel as it'll be unfiltered air so sorry to say, I wouldn't advise to drive it like that.

I don't have visibility of your VIN, admiral, so can't look up the parts for you on citroen service site.
Last edited by MikeT on 31 Oct 2018, 16:09, edited 4 times in total.