2005 kangoo 1.5dci intermittent starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

2005 kangoo 1.5dci intermittent starting problem

Post by quintet »

This is not my car and so the problem is new to me so i'm just looking for a few tips & ideas if anyone has any.

The issue is the Kangoo for the most time simply will not start, it's had a new battery and replacement fuel pipes, there are no air bubbles in the pipes, the primer bulb is always firm and pumping it makes no difference. I cracked off the injector feed pipes and cranked it over so i know there is fuel getting to the injectors but i don't have the equipment to do a leak off test. I removed/cleaned the camshaft sensor which was quite dirty and done a basic test on it by testing the signal wire which goes from 0-5-0 (etc) volts when passing past a metal object so it appears to be working and there is a power & earth supply which also seems ok but this is not a definitive test as i do not have an oscilloscope, unfortunately i am unable to get to the crankshaft sensor as it's pretty buried (just above the gearbox) but again without having an oscilloscope i cannot test this either, i used my multimeter on the camshaft sensor but obviously this cannot read the signal as the meter can't record any sort of data signal fast enough. There is a feed to the glow plugs so i'm guessing the relay is ok although the new battery was somewhat worn down at the time of testing and i was only getting a reading of 10.7 volts (the battery is now on charge and will be refitted tomorrow). At one point i r/r'd the cam sensor wiring plug and it started but this seemed to be just coincidence as it would not start again after this.

Unfortunately i don't have access to any diagnostic equipment for a renault & so can't tell if there's any fault codes (i guess there will be) or test any sensors in situ, from what i can tell there does not appear to be any immobiliser faults but i'll have a look to see if theres any erratic LED flashing when the battery is back on, & tbh if there is an immobiliser fault there won't be anything i can do about it. For the record the car (MPV) has a manual gearbox.

I tested the glow plugs on the vehicle today and they seem reasonably ok with them all having a resistance of approximately 1 ohm inc' multimeter resistance of 0.2 - 0.3 ohms making the glow plugs approximately 0.7-0.8ohms. Does anyone know how to get the cover off the black upper engine ECU? I've seen a video of one for a clio but it's completely different. I believe its there to prevent theft etc so it may be best this info is sent via private message. I'm not doing any work on the ECU as i have no wiring diagrams but i just wanted to check for corroded/damaged pins. I also cannot see any obvious flashing from the immobiliser LED indicating any faults + without changing any parts the car decided to start on several occasions today, how long this will continue is anyones guess... .
Music keeps me going.
quintet
Donor 2023

Re: 2005 kangoo 1.5dci intermittent starting problem

Post by quintet »

A quick update on this, someone has done a diag test on the vehicle and these fault codes have come up, DF137 rail pressure regulation, function, pressure > maximum + DF037 stop switch Circuits coherence . When ive looked at this vehicle in the past i did notice it seems to have a fairly new HP pump regulator on it. Putting a (genuine) 2nd hand camshaft sensor on the vehicle has not made any difference.
Music keeps me going.
quintet
Donor 2023

Re: 2005 kangoo 1.5dci intermittent starting problem

Post by quintet »

Well i didn't know my neighbour still had a problem with starting this kangoo as I'd heard nothing from them for some time, unfortunately it still won't start & has in fact become harder to start. The intention now is to replace the primer as it won't go hard after numerous pumps, it'll be a difficult job as the pipes run down underneath the vehicle and i don't think it has a pump in the tank so bleeding it could prove to be impossible 😖. Ive also carried out a leak off test which threw up an issue, 3 bottles filled ¾ of the way in about 30-40 seconds and one remained empty. I did the test twice and got the same results, I'll do it again before commencing any further work but i don't know whats causing this, poor feed to one injector? three injectors leaking back too much? fuel pump failure?... it doesn't look good anyway.
Attachments
20221210_121057.jpg
Music keeps me going.