xantia clutch clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redbird 2
My Cars:

xantia clutch clip

Post by redbird 2 »

Hi people,well my cluch clip(holds the cable to the pedal)has broke again.The first one lasted seven years and 75k the second one lsted 9 months and 3k. The clutch action is light and smooth so the big question is do or can you get a metal clip instead of the silly nylon one.
Paul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Paul,
One of the members on the Yahoo Xantia-L list recently gave a very good description of easily making a metal clip. (Ah, just looked and see you have been there - this is the post you want: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Xan ... ssage/9769 )
He also suggested that the reason the replacements break is that the metal part of the clip may be fitted in such a way that it fouls the clutch pedal during operation which puts sideways force on it and breaks it off. Maybe I should check mine!
captain_ouzo
My Cars:

Post by captain_ouzo »

Hi all 1st time post for me.
I had exactly the same problem and my little french garage owner simply took a maetal clip off a broken peugeot 206 and fitted it on . hope this helps ( he charged me £1.oo ) <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redbird 2</i>

Hi people,well my cluch clip(holds the cable to the pedal)has broke again.The first one lasted seven years and 75k the second one lsted 9 months and 3k. The clutch action is light and smooth so the big question is do or can you get a metal clip instead of the silly nylon one.
Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
captain_ouzo
My Cars:

Post by captain_ouzo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redbird 2</i>

Paul
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Did you only replace the metal clip rather than the whole plastic thing WITH the clip? The original plastic bit is black but the replacement is white and a bit stronger. I did mine some weeks ago and replaced it all! 5k mls on it now and going smooth :-)
Cheers,
John
Xantia 1.8i 16v 1997
109k mls
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

If a metal clip is used in place of plastic type, what would be the potential problem? There must be a reason for the breakable clip. Can anyone explain?
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

tj, Ring your Citroen dealer for a quote to fix it. that'll answer your question
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The cable may snap instead, but what's the difference then [8D]
It's important to find the problem which caused the clip to snap, either the cable or the clutch (heavy) itself.
Donno if Citroen intended engineering the clip this way to give owners a telltale of oncoming gross failure of the clutch.
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

The cable may snap instead, but what's the difference then [8D]
It's important to find the problem which caused the clip to snap, either the cable or the clutch (heavy) itself.
Donno if Citroen intended engineering the clip this way to give owners a telltale of oncoming gross failure of the clutch.
Anders,
My thought always was that the clip breaks whenever the motion gets heavier OR when the plastic/metal clip wears of during time. If the cable broke I would get more worried about the clutch. I know my clutch is going though, but finances is begging it to last a bit longer ...
What would happen if the clutch did totally fail? Always engaged or disengaged?
Thanks,
John
Xantia 1.8i 16v, 108k mls, 1997
P.S. do you have a English version of your web site?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the clutch fails it's always engaged.
- meaning you can only select gears with that very touchy go on the acc pedal.
Worst thing is to start from a green traffic light [:I]
Only in very rare cases the clutch would fail by slipping, meaning a friction plate worn down to the rivets or oil wetted from a failed crank seal.
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

Help! My BX clutch cable has failed with a loud snap! No sure if the cable gave way or the clip broke. I managed to drive the car home. A visual inspection under the dash gace no clue at all as the anchor seems to be located behind the pedal assembly. My clutch has done about 60,000Km, the pedal as rather heavy before the failure, is it time to replace the clutch?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

TJ there is no clip on the BX clutch, a heavy clutch is either a sign of a worn clutch or that the cable has "dried out" replace the cable first thing checking that the bell crank pivot on the gearbox is well greased and you may find its wonderfully light, if its still heavy then new clutch time may be approaching.
Stewart
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

What happens here is the release bearing wears its way into the pressure plate fingers until it goes right through, if your pedal is on the floor and the cable looks ok at both ends then thats what I would suspect.
Dave