DS5 heater stopped working

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dynasticpluto
My Cars: 2012 Ds5 hybrid

DS5 heater stopped working

Post by dynasticpluto »

Hi guys, I just headed out to the shops and the windscreen had just cleared then I started hearing a clunking like the fan was getting stuck, it got worse and I could feel it through the steering wheel. I went straight home and checked under the bonnet, no leaks or anything, turned engine on with no heater and everything was fine. I then replicated the situation I was just in with all the heater settings and everything was working for about a minute then the fan grinds down to a very low speed. I turned the heater down and the fan slowed down, I turned the heater off and back on and it wouldn't come on.

The last few weeks I've noticed a lot of moisture inside the car in a morning, could condensation have got into the blower bearings and seized them?

Is it a full dash out job to replace the blower?
I'm in the UK (RHD) if that makes any difference.

Any help is hugely APPRECIATED.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5 heater stopped working

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Water can get it and cause the bearings to seize as the motor is spun up gradually and when seized there is not always enough power to spin them up. Normally if it the blower motor control module that has failed, the blower will operate at full speed only or nothing. Keep your climate control on Auto to allow the A/C to reduce moisture in the car.

You'll need to remove the passenger side trim on the side near the gearbox binnacle to get to the blower control module and blower motor.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
janihorvat
My Cars: Citroen DS 5
Citroen DS 4

Post by janihorvat »

Hi guys.
Last year I had the same problem like @dynasticpluto. I have replaced resistor and it was work normally.
Last few days I have NEW problem; when I start the engine, ventilator works normally (auto mode)..after 2-3min blower start to work on maximum for 3-5s and then again normal...and then all over repeat, max. - normal all over again.
I have change new resistor and it's the same...so maybe is problem with cabin temperature sensor? I don't know on how many cycles per time sensor of cabin work? Hope is all clear about my problem? Can anybody help please?
Jani
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no separate cabin temperature sensor, it doesn't work like that.

The main issues we see here are cheap blower motor control modules from the likes of ebay and amazon. You didn't mention what brand you fitted, but get a decent one like Febi Bilstein, BEHR or Valeo, as the cheaper versions often don't work or go faulty in a very short time.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
janihorvat
My Cars: Citroen DS 5
Citroen DS 4

Post by janihorvat »

Hi Marc,

thank's for your replay.

The original was BEHR (P7708005), which stopped working two years ago. I replaced it with KRIOS (405160) https://www.kriosac.it/it/product/10.6062 , which was OK until now, then it started acting like it was going crazy. It works normally on auto mode, then suddenly at maximum for a few seconds, then again for a few seconds normally and so on.
When I set the speed controller to zero then the fan does not work. It means no power.
I bought new KRIOS control modules and the result is the same, so I'm afraid it's not a problem in the control model!?

INTEREST: But I noticed that the light on the cruise control button is blinking a little, like it's not getting good power supply or something?

Regards, Jani