XANTIA WOBBLE 1.9TDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FEDAK
My Cars:

XANTIA WOBBLE 1.9TDI

Post by FEDAK »

I have noticed that if I suddenly take my foot off the accelerator after accelerating hard the steering jecks to the near side for a moment before correctiong itself. It doesn't happen when braking and the tyres are ok. I have checked the near side bearings and bushes as best I can but can't seem to find anything.
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

I don't know if this helps, but i once drove an 11BL (Traction Avant [:D]) that seemed to make the same thing.
My question is: how many miles ago have you calibrated the steering?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if this is driveshaft wind up? Your car has a shortish driveshaft on the near side and a longer one on the off side, witha support bearing in it. the support bearing is supposed to stop this problem but to be honest I've never understood why as you still have what amounts to one long and one short shaft.
leaving aside the support bearing what happens when you accelerate is the shafts twist a bit and if they are of the same diameter the long one will twist a bit more. You therefore have one front wheel turning a little bit more than the other which can be felt at the steering wheel. What may be happening is that the wind up is not noticeable as turbo diesels take a little while to build up power as the boost increases etc but the cut off is instantaneous and so you compensate when accelerating as the problem is slow but notice the twitch when you lift off.
perhaps someone will explain why I'm wrong and why the jointed shaft is a complete cure for this problem!
Jeremy
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Yes, it could be torque steering... I hate it. It's especially noticeable on my C5.
But realize that it happens inj this case when deccelerating. Torque steering is felt only when accelerating, i.e., when torque is at it's peak, or starts to develop abruptely, like when the turbo wakes up [:)]. Though, i liked very much your explanation about torque sttering.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Could be the drive shaft CV joint. Is the CV boot on the either of the near side CVs damaged. Had a not dissimilar problem on a BX, repacked the outer CV joint with grease and the problem went away.
Rory
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I'd be looking for something worn in the suspension or steering, torque steering has only to do with limited slip diffs and the driving wheels tyres and you would need alot of power to invoke it, especialy on a heavy car like a xantia, as the grip of each tyre fluctuates under acceleration the front of the car gets pulled sideways towards the tyre with the failing grip.
The driveshafts are of unequal length for obvious reasons and the bearing is there for support, though there may be some detectable twist in the shaft at peak loads it wont be anything this drastic, if it could twist anything like the amount needed to cause such an affect it would also easily snap, on top of that there is the differential that splits the power equaly to each tyre and would compensate for such an amount.
Dave
FEDAK
My Cars:

Post by FEDAK »

Thanks, I am going to get it over the pits this weekend and have a good look round. I did have a new clutch fitted about 3000 miles ago so maybe something not been put back the way it should
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Usual causes of this type of problem are:
Worn rear (yes, thats right, rear) trailing arm bearings
Worn front wishbone bushes
Worn track rod ends
Sloppy front bearings
Knackered ball joint
Worn engine mountings
To name a few.
//NiSk
FEDAK
My Cars:

Post by FEDAK »

would worn rear trailing arm bearings cause vibration at around 60-70
I know its not the tyres as they have been checked
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I would normally say this would be a track rod end, but they cause a very distinct veering with power on/off and it doesn't usually self-correct after a few moments.
One driveshaft joint locking up for a second and freeing could be a possibility.
Torque steer is not normally seen on something like a Xantia to any noticeable degree. Old fashioned petrol turbos like the Saab 99 and Montego with a sudden power delivery were known for it and would pull you all over the road...mostly when full power was on.
David