Another noisy ZX, Help!!, Problem solved

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Another noisy ZX, Help!!, Problem solved

Post by Mads »

<i></i>Thanks for all the qualified replies. After yet another thorough look, I found the problem to the exhaust after all [:I] The flange between the cat and the silencer had failed, actually the ring on the cat-side had come loose. You wouldn't notice right away, or at least I like to thin so[;)], as the cat-silencer fit was very snug and hence the pipe was not really hanging much, and you could only find it by pulling the "tail". Well, a lots of WO40 and a little welding solved it, glad I did not go for the left-hand drive shaft [:)]<i></i>
Mads
+++++++++++++++++++++++
I have been struggling with a grinding noise, apparently from the front end of the car. After following the different treads here, I decided it was the right hand side drive shaft..

Yesterday I changed the drive shaft[:)], only to find absolutely no change [V]. Then I had a go at the break hoses to at least get something out of an afternoon with the back on the pavement, only to brake the bleed screw [V][V] THEN I went for a pint and a Scotch [:)] But the noise.. It’s getting worse and getting on my nerves..

The noise ONLY appears when accelerating (under load), especially in 1st and 2nd gear. The harder you accelerate the more noise.. It doesn’t seem to matter if you turn at the same time. It's sort of a grinding noise, no high pitch, maybe from a ball bearing with a few sprung balls, maybe not ?!

I tried to provoke the noise without accelerating; braking, curving, bumps etc., nothing, perfectly quiet. Looked at the exhaust, nothing. Rocked the engine hard, nothing.

I then concluded it had something to do with the drive or transmission and changed the right hand side drive shaft (It seemed to be worse when turning left at that point) but now I don't know. Any thoughts ?, or should I just bite the bullet and change the short drive shaft also ?

Thanks in advance
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Jack up each side of the front in turn (so the wheel goes free, but make sure the car is secure and won't fall down), stick it in 2nd and start the engine. Notice if the noise is associated with any particular side?
//NiSk
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Thanks for your reply NiSk. I'll try jacking the car and have a good look. I suspect there wont be any noise though, cause it only seem to be there when under load. Unfortunately I'll have to be patient, because I don't have a chance to try it before the weekend.
gloworm

Post by gloworm »

sounds like the CV joint is knackered
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Mads, this is probably <i>really </i>obvious, but have you checked your wheel bearings? They went on mine months ago, but produced similar noises.
To check, with car firmly jacked up, grip top and bottom of each tyre and rock the wheel in that position to see if there is any movement with a sligh "clunking" noise and a metallic click that you'll feel through your hands. What you're looking for is as if you'd undone the wheelnuts a few turns. If there's no movement or clunking, then the bearings are ok.
Bearings normally about £40 to change.
Regards
Dom
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

I did check the wheel bearings as you describe and could not find any problem. On top, the car has just passed the Danish MOT, and the guy there also checked all the different parts for travel but could not find any [:)].. so it passed without faults [8D] He said that it was probably a CV joint, but as it was not a safety issue he did not care.
I changed the right hand drive shaft without any improvement, but maybe the trouble is the left shaft.. The noise just doesn't seem to come from the left, but the again it is hard to tell.
I had a look at the engine mounts yesterday, and it seems to me the engine may be tilted slightly more than it should be. Maybe it is touching something when under load.. I'll have a thorough look in the weekend.
shammur
My Cars:

Post by shammur »

is it making grinding sounds whenever u make a turn?
if thats the case then maybe u can have a check on ur power steering fluid resovior.
aido

Post by aido »

just reading bout your gringing noises mads,dont know if you have sorted it yet but i had a terrible noise on my zx a couple of years back and went like this: accelerating from lowish revs say about 1200/1300 produced a sort of grinding/vibrating sound and i took the car to a few garages who came up with various ideas of knackered drive shafts /wheel bearings etc. anyway, i needed new tyres,and this is where it sounds bizarre,but on getting new tyres fitted and the wheels back on the car,the noises had disappeared.Dont know why this should have cured it but it did and hasnt reappeared since.Maybe you could try swapping the wheels round if you havnt got sorted yet!