stuck in 5th gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gloworm

stuck in 5th gear

Post by gloworm »

car got stuck in 5th yesterday (citroen synergie) jacked it up removed end casing off gearbox tapped 5th gear with a hammer and it was out . question is it cant be a big problem coz the box works okay has any one any ideas what ive to look for coz it woz stuck in reverse last week ???
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gear oil level too low ?
gloworm

Post by gloworm »

when it got stuck in reverse last week i replaced the oil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK -
5.th & reverse would be located on the same lift on the selector control rod protruding box ?
Then I'd suspect the selector rod is either pusing or pulling too short, locking up the gear selector mechanism.
With help from an assistent, try check how the linkage push/pull on the box's selector rod, judging if the selector rod is not controlled properly.
Most selector problems are caused by external problems in the linkage. Rarely you have (more serious) internal selector problems.
Anyway - I think it's a clue that both reverse & 5.th is teasing you ...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Gearboxes have mechanisms to prevent the engagement of 2 gears at the same time which would of course cause them to lock. have a very good look at the gear lever mechanism and make sure everything is spot on for adjustment. I think you have a BE3 box or similar which has the two tranverse links which are adjustable - make sure they are correctly set up - I expect the link length is critical!
jeremy