LHM dead after 3 months ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

LHM dead after 3 months ?

Post by paranoid »

I have just taken a sample of lhm from the resevoir and its thick and muddy already, Any ideas anyone!!!!!
I changed it, because it had never been done before (66k) it was dark brown with silt at the botttom of the tank, checked it again today and its dark green and very cloudy (wife says its like liquidised spinach) I didn't use hydra flush last time could this be the problem? I am going to do it again anyway but how do I clear out system, I am a bit worried because I thought it would last more than 2000 miles.................
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You need to do the LHM fluid service (click).
Use the Hydracleanse this time, available from GSF in 5L bottles, same cost as LHM.
Please do the FULL service as outlined. Any shortcuts would lead to disappointing results.
Once the Hydracleanse has ben run in the system at least the prescribed mileage, then the job MUST be repeated using fresh LHM.
It's simply dirt in the system that keeps dislodging, contaminating your fresh LHM.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanx Anders i knew you would have the solution!!!!, I feared i should have used hydraclean when I did the fluid but finances ruled that out, One question I only do about 6k a year is it safe to keep in system 2-3 months.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes - the Hydracleanse may be left as long TIME as needed in the system.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just filled up with hydraclean and bled the brakes, I have a confession to make I didn't bleed them the first time I did the fluid,some very nasty dark stuff came out, kept going till the new stuff came through, when the the H/c was done 6 months ago they didn't use LHM thats for sure !!!!!!.
How does the cleaner work? does it loosen up the dirt in the pipes etc And will bleeding etc make any difference to the ride.
Anders thanks for the Link very helpfull........
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The Hydracleanse flushes the system in terms of shifting the remnants of LHM and dirt in the system.
It does have a kind of dissolving effect on packed dirt.
It does not actually "degrease" the system in common terms, as it still needs to have rather good lubrication properties, for the hydraulic components to work at all.
The dirt then settles in the reservoir. Later when you need to do the whole procedure agin reverting to LHM, you'll be surprised how much dirt has collected in the reservoir.
As the cleaning process is rather slow, you may experience all kinds of strange symptoms from the hydraulic system, many of these will tend to disappear again.
It's important not to panic if strange symptoms occur.
Once you're back with LHM on a cleaned system, you are left with the real symptoms (if any) from wear or defects (internal leaks) in the system, which then should/could be attended to.
I assume you're about ready to to revert to LHM late summer, while weather is still nice, and work on car is sensible.
We could have a discussion then, if you experience any problems.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
why does LHM get so dirty over there ??
Out here hydroflush is unheard of. I recently changed my Xantias lhm at 123,000kms. It was kinda black, almost clear looking. There is no reason why the new fluid won't last 100,000kms.
Is it all the moisture in the air over there ?
seeya,
Shane L.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Folks,
So can Hydracleanse sort out "overnight leak-off" problems? As in dirt stopping valves and seals closing?
My pressure light takes between 6 and 10 seconds to go off first thing in the morning. The rest of the day, it's fine.
I need to trace which component is leaking off. Is it usually dirt or wear in this kind of situation? The 2.5 XM has 84K and has had reasonably regular changes of LHM.
rg
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi rg -
The reputed rear sink syndrome is caused by the brake doseur (pedal) valve leaking in it's rear brakes circuit. This exhausts the rear suspension pressure over night.
The brake doseur valve has a double seal in it's rear circuits, which presumely wears out and leaks.
It's also wellknown that the brake doseaur valve leaks in it's main (front) brakes circuit, which is caused by dirt disturbing the pressure balance in the valve pistons. Overhauling the brake doseur valve will almost certainly regain good operation.
On RHD XM models, the brake doseur valve is located behind a shield rather high in the engine bay, a bit odd located to the pedal. This makes XM brake doseur valves rather easy to access, but also known to give problems in the pedal transfer linkages.
Bob Smith offers a genuine Citroen workshop document for overhauling the brake doseur valve :
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Brakes/
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Anders,
Thanks!
However, the rear stays quite well up overnight...
rg