zx bearings?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncool
My Cars:

zx bearings?

Post by uncool »

Hi all
Have just bought 91 zx advantage(1.4)after one week and one day a loud regular whine appeared difficult to locate exactly(u know how sound travels)after through examination the only thing to turn up was a totally worn out lower suspension bush on near side rear the noise is only apparent on steady cruising speed runs,accelerating and decelerating around town it doesn't appear,its unaffected by clutch,brakes or gear changes and only dissapears as speed drops in prep for next manover and re-appears once steady cruise speed reached(55-plus)as totally (almost!)clueless regarding cars any help appreciated P.S. all wheel bearings checked ok-ish by old method of pulling in all planes but bit worried by tales of bearings in the swing arm tube?aarrgggghhhh(also excuse spellin errors!!!)
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing to me. Pulling in all directions on the wheel when jacked up, is unlikely to reveal a worn front wheel bearing. You need to jack up 1 wheel at a time. With 1 hand on the base of the spring cup base on the suspension strut, spin the wheel as hard as you can and if the wheel bearing is worn you should feel a kind of roughness in the hand which is holding the strut and you may also hear a rumble type noise. Repeat on the otherside to compare results.
Hope that helps.
Jayzee33

Post by Jayzee33 »

Could be something similar to what I've got with my 94 ZX 1.4i - check out the replies on my topic - "Citroen ZX grinding/whirring noise from enginge" - I am just as confused as you are and am hoping to find out what the problem is soon.