Loose LHM reservoir cap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattholmes78
My Cars:

Loose LHM reservoir cap

Post by mattholmes78 »

Can anyone tell me if the LHM reservoir cap should be loose, it doesn't even seem to be a screw cap. Do they wear out over time? I'm sure I am waisting fluid.
Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ceratinly BX ones are push on plastic caps, carefully positioned to make pouring difficult. In fact there are a couple of clear plastic vent pipes which prevent the cap getting lost.
make sure you don't overfill the tank
jeremy
Karl

Post by Karl »

Matt
I had a puddle of LHM a few weeks after a fuild change and kept toping it up. It was only after that I realised that the cap has to be really tight on the reservoir that it stopped leaking.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you're loosing LHM fluid from reservoir flooding, then I suspect you have overfilled the reservoir.
Deliberately set the car to lowest height, engine NOT running, then check you have at least some sensible clearance (approx 0.5-1 inch) from fluid level to reservoir bowl upper edge.
If that does not cure flooding, then you have a problem with high flow rate or large amounts of air in one of the return hoses.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

One of my previous Xantias leaked LHM from the seal between the cap and tank leaving the top of the tank wet with LHM. Swopped it with another from the breakers job done, so yes they do 'wear' out.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

A trap I found on a CX years ago was that they sat the tank on a rubber ring obviously to reduce wear through vibration. I started getting this LHM leak & try as I might I couldn't find it but did isolate it to the area around the tank. Upon removing the tank & susequently washing it out, I found that there had been a coating of rust between the rubber & the tank so someone had simply got rid of the rubber whereupon it simply wore a pinhole through the bottom of the tank where it sat on the frame.
[:(]
Alan S