Xantia central locking giving me problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattholmes78
My Cars:

Xantia central locking giving me problems

Post by mattholmes78 »

I have a 94 Xantia. When I first bought the car it had central locking problems. Every now and again the locks would lock and unlock staright away on the key fob. Opening and slamming all the doors usually fixed this problem. However a year on and this occurs all the time. Would this suggest only one of the door locking mechanisms is faulty? If so how do I test them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated - and I'd like to know if anyone else has the same problem.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had a similar problem with my BX last year and from what I rememberit was confined to the front passenger door. Changing the lock motor cured it.
I think I wrote about it at the time and a search will probably turn up loads of discussions on this subject.
jeremy
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello! A common problem is broken wires in the loom between the the front door hinges and A post. Its the thick rubber insulated loom. Most common is the drivers door, but it can also be the passenger door. The wires go weak and break over time as the action of the door of opening and shutting weakens them.
So you need to pull back the rubber sleeve , give a moderate pull on each wire, if there are any broken ones they will pull out.
So all you need then do is solder and insulate to repair. I have done this a few times and its usually the OSF door and more than 1 wire broken.
If when you are checking and find they are all ok, then it could be the motor.....Goood luck!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

More than likely only one lock is defective. To work out which one is causing the problem, open all windows to allow easy access from outside then push one interior door lock button down. Then 'fire' then key fob. When you find that it locks ok if a particular door is 'per-locked' then that will be the one causing the problem.
I have had this problem on a couple of Xantias and for some reason on both occaisions the N/S/F door lock was the problem.
To rectify, all that was needed was to take off the door panel then remove the loom connection where it fits onto the lock and spray WD40 liberally into the connections. Job done.
greggpask

Post by greggpask »

Hi,
I had a similar problem recently, and i know what your going through.
To cure it i was told to squirt copious amounts of wd40 into the passenger and driver doors, tried it and "hey presto" no more locks popping up. That was a reccommendation from this site. Great eh!
94 xantia tdsx
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

had same problem with my xantia, check the passenger front door lock wiring connection. It can work loose then causing the locks to 'bounce' back unlocked. I fitted a new spring/clip thing that holds the connection tight. Touch wood, its okay 18 months later. Normal cause is having a job done on the door and the spring/clip thing flying off.
Regards
Paul