All Things Motorsport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

All Things Motorsport

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The UAE Grand Prix was an absolute joke. How many dubious decisions were made by the stewards? They make one decision, and then, within a lap or so, reverse that decision. Mercedes will be spitting acid at them. It was the stewards who decided who would win the race, and not the drivers. Either ALL of the lapped cars should have been allowed to un-lap themselves, or NONE of them. Because Mercedes had worn tyres and Red Bull had new tyres it was obvious that, if Verstappen was right behind Hamilton, Red Bull would win the race. If the lapped cars were not allowed to go past the safety car (as was the case at first) Verstappen would have had to work his way past them to deal with Hamilton.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 12 Dec 2021, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: On TV...

Post by mickthemaverick »

Totally agree James, the only thing I have consoled myself with is the fact that Verstappen has led the most laps and won the most races over the season so is desrving. But that doesn't make the race director's decision right. Personally I would declare the race finished when Lattifi hit the wall and declare points from there because that would be fair to all. !!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I thought it was interesting to see that the 'fix' wasn't to the benefit of Mercedes or Ferrari as has been the case in the past. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It would appear this is going under protest so hmmmmm! :-D
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I watched the whole race and by a long way Hamilton was the quicker driver.
I totally agree that the race director got this one wrong big time. It is great to actually see 2 drivers from different teams doing battle, when you look at the team mates they are head and shoulders above them but in this race Red Bull decided to put Max behind the 5 lapped cars by pitting him. Under "normal rules" all lapped cars would be allowed to unlap themselves but if Max had stayed out he would have been on fresher tyres anyway to Lewis but the same compound.
The extra lap to unlap the cars would have meant the race finished under a SC and that has been done on numerous occasions so money talks me thinks :)
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Just been reading the Articles that Mercedes are basing their protests on. One looks pretty clear cut that the race director did not follow the Article which says ALL LAPPED CARS ON THE PRESCRIBED LAP MUST BE UNLAPPED BEFORE THE SAFETY CAR IS RETURNED TO THE PITS. The second one seems to refer to where and when Verstappen could overtake Hamilton on the track but that one is clear as mud. Hey Ho! yet more controversy in F1. Wonder how they will fudge this one?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think there are two thinks that should be done. First, the UAE Grand Prix be declared null and void. This would mean that both Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen would be declared World Champion. Second, ALL of the stewards who officiated at the UAE Grand Prix either resign or are fired for incompetence.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Unfortunately, no it wouldn't. Verstappen would be world champion on Count Back rules. I actually think it is not the Stewards but the FIA who need to come under the spotlight.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

As Mercedes have taken their QC in with them I foresee another long drawn out argument that may not be resolved before next season begins!! It wouldn't be the first time, remember the Williams controversy over the steering column? As I see it the alleged overtaking by Max while behind the safety car is very marginal and dependant upon the definition of the word 'overtake' . For me that means getting more than half your car past the middle of the other car!! I doubt that will be their interpretation. As for the complaint about non-compliance with the written regulations, I think that is clearcut but I am not sure how any penalty for that could alter the race result unless they deem the race ended before the Safety Car went out and thereby nullify any wrong instructions issued!! Can't see that happening unless it is accompanied by Michael Massey's resignation? :roll: :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Dormouse wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 17:14 Unfortunately, no it wouldn't. Verstappen would be world champion on Count Back rules. I actually think it is not the Stewards but the FIA who need to come under the spotlight.
In this instance I believe that the countback should be ignored (so that the healing process might begin). Having BOTH declared as Joint World Champion might be the fairest outcome after this travesty. As things stand the 2021 Grand Prix season finale may have brought the sport into disrepute, as it appears (to me, anyway) that the Stewards have decided who should be the World Champion.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

As an ex competitor and RACMSA Scrutineer, I have been on both sides of the such situations. All I can say is that Michael Masi's interventions and circumventions beggar belief and, as he is employed by the FIA, why he has been allowed to continue in post without censure unless the FIA agree with the courses of action he has taken this season. That is my take. But then I have only followed F1 since I was a nipper, so, what do I know about the machinations of F1. Charley Whiting would never have been so open and in your face about being Race Director. F1 has changed, again, and I don't like it, again.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just had a thought of a possible course of action the stewards may take. They may penalise Max 5 seconds for overtaking behind the safety car and then reverse their own decision of No Further Action on Lap 1 and penalise Lewis 5 secs for leaving the track and gaining an advantage. I am not advocating that but it is a way out for the stewards!! :shock:
As for mis application of the rules who knows? :-D
What I do know is that if the results stand as they are I'm out of F1 next year!! 8-[ 8-[
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I wonder how much Red Bull would have paid another team to cause a safety car? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

:-** now, now! That would never happen in the Business of F1.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

errrr!! Nelson Piquet Jr, 2008 Singapore, Crashgate as it became known? :-D