407 Front Suspension Lower Hub Carrier Pivot Bushes 365604 - easy pezzy

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 407 Hdi 2.7 (the beast)
407 petrol v6
Citroen C4 Aircross (aka Mitsubishi ASX)
Rover 75 (really a BMW) - gone
Nissan Pathfinder R51 (boat tower)
Nissan Micra (mr incredible car)
Citroen C5 Aircross (the boss'es car)

407 Front Suspension Lower Hub Carrier Pivot Bushes 365604 - easy pezzy

Post by 407 »

when driving the new HDi toy, the left front side seems to have some play / looseness in the suspension, eg when braking

When jacked up it was clear there was a lot of movement in the lower control arm bush (when pulled out it was just bouncing around inside the carrier)

I had a look at Youtube for "expertise" but was somewhat dismayed to see them air hammering out the bush, pulling half the car apart etc

It took me just over an 2 hours to do the job between tyre off and tyre on, of which at least half the time was spend looking for various sockets, cutting pipe etc and the like (eg too cheap to buy and wait for a "real" bush puller kit.

Part number of the bush is 365604 - cost me around AUD$10 plus postage

Steps were

1. get a high tensile bolt (around 8 inches / 200 mm), some large heavy duty washers (I added pulley wheel I found in my garage for good measure), a pipe that fits over the lip of the new bush (around ID 47 mm) (or a larger socket if you have it around 1 - 3/4 inches) and one 1 1/8 inch socket to make a bush pusher / puller (see pic) - or buy or rent a bush puller kit

2. jack up car, install some stands and take the offending side tyre off

3. remove one bolt (hub will drop down a bit) - No 20 in exploded diagram

4. carefully pull the whole hub away from the car until you have a clear path to the bush (not too far or you will pull the CV joint out which will be very bad)

5. install the bush removal tool you made up in step 1 and wind the 1- 1/8 socket in until the bush pops out - (eg no dangerous air jack hammering required but note that the bolt may (if not high tensile) give way and fly out so take care)

6. reverse the tool, grease up the new bush (it helps) and wind it in until it seats properly (eg lip side is flush with face of suspension arm) - when winding in check if you are clear of suspension bits / bush is going in straight and adjust if required - goes in pretty easy

7. reinstall the one bolt you removed, refit tyre, remove stands and jack and you are done
Attachments
bush inside pipe
bush inside pipe
push socket 1 1/8 inch
push socket 1 1/8 inch
the tool
the tool
exploded diagram
exploded diagram
hub and arm pulled apart
hub and arm pulled apart
the offending side
the offending side
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 407 Front Suspension Lower Hub Carrier Pivot Bushes 365604 - easy pezzy

Post by RichardW »

Yeah, but you live in a part of the world where they don't put salt on the roads that just turns everything underneath into one rusted together blob!!

Well done anyway :-D
Richard W