Clogged arches

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Clogged arches

Post by davek-uk »

On Sunday I cleaned out the crud from the Xantia wheel arches - hoping for a good summer [:o)]. Fronts were fine due to the plastic inlays but the rears were pretty bad.
The rear left hand (n/s) arch is only protected by a quarter height plastic insert that covers the gap to the rear valance; the rest is open to collect what it can. Is this normal or do I have some plastic missing?
I thought that was bad but the rear right (drivers side) was terrible. This had about half protection at the rear but the front half where the fuel pipes (I guess that's what they are) run was unprotected. This allows a good collection of nice wet mud behind the pipes and the fittings [V]. Has anyone else noticed this?
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Noticed it and yours is as they should be. No problem though because Xantia's don't rust!
Hose it out from time to time if you wish, I do most times when the car is washed.
David
volcaneoptimist
My Cars:

Post by volcaneoptimist »

Hi,
Just to share the concern on the unprotected rear wheel arch on the driver side that contributed to the high fuel consumption of my ZX Volcane 2.0.i. The description of the fuel hoses on your xantia matched my ZX. I take the liberty to paste what I posted in an another forum. Note para 2 below:
As promised, here is an update:
1. Top up fuel today after having done only 220km - RM40.00. Some improvement but not significant i.e. after manual scan done, clean throttle body and replacement of the ISCM or is it called ISCV(can someone enlighten mes on whether it is the Idle Speed Control Motor, more commonly called the stepper motor or the Idle Speed Control Valve)
2. Found another fault with the car. Smell of petrol when alighting from the car especially with a full or high tank. Trace the source of leakage to the breather hose. The plastic tubing has broken off from the plastic body located at the lower part of the rear wheel arch or 'mudguard'. Petrol was dripping through the rubber hose with the plastic tubing still attached for a brief moment when the car was parked. Suspect that since the tip of the broken tubing was hanging lower than the top level of the fuel tank, much petrol could have leaked out especially when it's on high tank or turning corners. Noticed that the design and location of the breather mechanism is poorly done and could eaily be damaged. Would advise all ZX owners to regularly check that the tubing is not damaged by stones or during car wash as high water jet pressure aimed at the particluar spot to clear mud/debri could damage the tubing. This particular spot tend to collect mud and maybe it's best to leave them there to protect the rubber hoses.(at the cost of dealing with rust problem later eh). I shall try to take a snapshot of the area and upload it to my pictures for the benefit of ZX owners.
3. If situation warrant, I shall have to check the injector plugs are delivering the correct quantity of fuel as suggested in the Citroen technical guide. A simple but time consuming test as each injector has to be removed separately and orientating each to inject the fuel into a vessel(preferably with graduated scale). For the time being, I shall withhold this test and monitor the fuel consumption over the next few days and keep you guys posted. Cost of fixing - Abit of creativity and a drop of silicone plus own labour. Very econmical.