tapping noise..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesVTS
My Cars:

tapping noise..

Post by JamesVTS »

Hi all, just registered as a member. need help identify what could cost the tapping noise from the engine? could it be tappets need replace? any help would be appreciate it. [:(]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi James
I think we need a just a weeeeee bit more information on this [;)]
Is it at all engine speeds?
Is it worse under load / when running light?
Can you tell if it is at engine speed or half engine speed?
Tip: If the noise occurs when stationary, use a stethoscope aka long screwdriver with handle in ear!
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

Q.Is it at all engine speeds?
A.yes its tapping with all the engine speed..gets louder, faster when you acelerate.
Q.Is it worse under load / when running light?
A.I dont think so its making the same noise either i have full load or ever drivng on my own.
Q.Can you tell if it is at engine speed or half engine speed?
A. confused,.. what you mean by that?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Does'nt the VTS engine has hydraulic (self adjusting) valve tappets ?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

That might be "hydraulic (non-self adjusting) valve tappets"!!!!
The under load/running light, JamesVTS, means is it dependant on throttle position (i.e. does it do it only when accelerating/light throttle/decelerating)?
Engine speed or half engine speed - is it every engine revolution, or every two...For example, if engine is at 900rpm (idle-ish), that will be 15 revolutions/second. In this case is it 15 or 7.5 times/second, or even slower?
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Does'nt the VTS engine has hydraulic (self adjusting) valve tappets ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
it is a hydraulic (self adjusting) valve tappets but for some reason its doesnt adjusting itself. [:(]
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>

The under load/running light, JamesVTS, means is it dependant on throttle position (i.e. does it do it only when accelerating/light throttle/decelerating)?
it tapping all the time even on idle but it will get faster when acelerating and slow down when decelerating
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>
Engine speed or half engine speed - is it every engine revolution, or every two...For example, if engine is at 900rpm (idle-ish), that will be 15 revolutions/second. In this case is it 15 or 7.5 times/second, or even slower?
not sure on this one probebly 7.5 rev/sec
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
does the Xsara have a plastic rocker cover like the Xantia ??
The reason I ask is since I removed the the rocker cover on my Xantia and re-sealed it to prevent leakage the car has tapped like it has a collapsed lifter.
Last week I was under the bonnet and it occured to me ('cos I a little slow Image ) that I've probably pulled one of the bolts in the plastic rocker cover down a little to hard and something is now touching it when the car runs.
Did this noise start just after the car was last serviced ?
seeya,
Shane L.
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Hi Guys,
does the Xsara have a plastic rocker cover like the Xantia ??
The reason I ask is since I removed the the rocker cover on my Xantia and re-sealed it to prevent leakage the car has tapped like it has a collapsed lifter.
Last week I was under the bonnet and it occured to me ('cos I a little slow Image ) that I've probably pulled one of the bolts in the plastic rocker cover down a little to hard and something is now touching it when the car runs.
Did this noise start just after the car was last serviced ?
seeya,
Shane L.
yep they do have a plstic rocker cover. im not sure when my car was last serviced. when i bought the car it didnt came with full service history. but i changed engine oil and filter hopping to stop the tapping noise but with out luck [:(]
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

Hi James
have you just changed the oil?. We also have a xsara vts and had the same problem a while ago when i used a very thin semi synthetic oil.I changed back to total quarts 7000 and the noise disappeared .A mate of mine has a fast fit centre and tells me that a few 16 valve engines are very noisy if the wrong oil is used.
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by myheadhurts</i>

Hi James
have you just changed the oil?. We also have a xsara vts and had the same problem a while ago when i used a very thin semi synthetic oil.I changed back to total quarts 7000 and the noise disappeared .A mate of mine has a fast fit centre and tells me that a few 16 valve engines are very noisy if the wrong oil is used.
i recently changed the oil hoping the tapping noise to go away but it didnt. what type of oil did you used? i think i used 15w40
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i recently changed the oil hopping <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've tried this, James, but spilt oil all over the floor [;)]
Now I always stand still [:D][:D]
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

LMAO.. missed spelling.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

S'all right, James; most folk, given time, get used to my warped sense of humour and pedantry [}:)][}:)]
Your noise does indeed sound like hydraulic tappets - hate the things!
JamesVTS
My Cars:

Post by JamesVTS »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

S'all right, James; most folk, given time, get used to my warped sense of humour and pedantry [}:)][}:)]
Your noise does indeed sound like hydraulic tappets - hate the things!
you know what the worse thing is..? companies like GSF..ect dont stock them anymore i have no choice but to order them from the citroen dealer. Last time i called was £16+/tappet GUTTED! [xx(]