2012 C4 Picasso - Change Stereo Headunit to add Bluetooth

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yourguitarhero

2012 C4 Picasso - Change Stereo Headunit to add Bluetooth

Post by yourguitarhero »

Hello
I have recently bought a 62 plate C4 Picasso which I am quite enjoying in a relaxing way!

While it is much newer and higher spec than any car I've ever owned before, there is a glaring omission - the stereo doesn't do bluetooth and I'd like to play music and make phonecalls.

The stereo in it is, I believe, an RD4. Comme ca:

FWIW, the central info screens have a bluetooth option, however it is greyed out.

From some research, it seems I have a couple of options.
1. add a little bluetooth transceiver to the cigarette lighter and tune the radio to it.
2. add a piggyback bluetooth module into the wiring harness. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174258438840
3. get a second hand RD45 stereo and install that.

Some questions:
1 - cheap, but won't display anything on the info screens
2 - seems simple, cheap and discreet. Will it display caller ID/track listings on the screens?
3 - Is this straight swap? Or does it need "coding"?

I know there is another option of adding a bluetooth/aux module in the glovebox (currently absent) but that just seems like 2 but more hassle?

Any thoughts?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2012 C4 Picasso - Change Stereo Headunit to add Bluetooth

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop your VIN up for me so I can see what the vehicle was fitted with. For a 2012, there should be a Bluetooth unit I would of thought - some of the vehicles with RD4 units may have had a hands free option, but I'll know once I check.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so this one has a bit of a basic specification, just a mono tuner RD4, no telematics unit or bluetooth.

Unfortunately on these the RD4 head unit is also more than a radio - it interfaces with the vehicle to change vehicle options - so replacing the head unit is doable, but if upgrading to a non-PSA unit will likely mean losing functionality.

So consider something like a Yatour unit that can mimic a CD player and can be wired into the RD4. From there you then attach a USB or flash card to the yatour to play MP3s and it treats it like a 6- CD changer. Depending on price and option, you may also get one with a bluetooth module for calls - so depends on the options you want. This way you can maintain the original head unit and have at least some additional functionality.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The RD45 radio I mentioned in point 3 is an OEM one?

Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303754747250

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can buy Chinese units of these from Aliexpress and other Chinese sellers. Your existing display screen needs to support bluetooth, so needs to be and EMF-C compatible screen with later software.

Here's a chap that bought both from Aliexpress - and it fitting it to his Peugeot: