Electrics for Xantia towbar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Electrics for Xantia towbar

Post by Gavin1 »

Have just bought a towbar for my Xantia complete with wiring kit. However the instructions for the wiring kit are not car specific and having never fitted one before need some adice. Need to know where in the existing wiring to attach the wiring for the towing socked, also what type of connector is best to use. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Gavin - I fitted a towsure bar and electrics to my Xantia estate in 1998. If you are equiping it for caravan towing, you'll need three live wires from the battery, preferably through in-line fuses near the battery. All three need to be 2.5mm, and rather than run them through the car, I put the three wires inside a plastic tube and ran them behind the engine and under the floor. My Xantia has a plastic cover over the pipework and I put the wires under the same cover. The wires go through a grommit into the boot. Two of the wires go to two separate relays, one for the fridge and one for battery charging. The third is a permanent live for interior lighting. The three wires, together with an earth, eventually end at the 12S socket. Presumably, Towsure gave you a wiring diagram for the 12N kit. To connect the seven wires according to the correct colours, I separated the ribbon connectors at the rear lights and used blue snap-lock tags on each wire. To make life easier, I used an audible alarm on the trafficators and fixed it in the boot. Hope this is of some help.
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

Gavin
When you wire the vehicle road light circuits to the tow socket be aware that the Xantia has its side-lights fused in diagonal pairs (there are 2 fuses for the side-lights).
If you take the connections from just one rear light in the boot you will overload that particular fuse which is 5 amp. You, therefore, need to take each side-lamp pin in the socket to separate sides of the car wiring.
Ian Cook
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Regarding Ian's comments - that is correct. The wire for the left side light goes to pin 7 and the right light wire to pin 5.