map showing I am in the middle of nowhere... until I zoom out.

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

icu12345
My Cars: 2010 Peugeot 308 SW

map showing I am in the middle of nowhere... until I zoom out.

Post by icu12345 »

Hi everyone, so I noticed something funny with my RNEG navigation unit:

- The map sometimes shows basically nothing (no roads, just green landscape): As if I were in the middle of nowhere
- At the same time, the navigation remains functional and the driving instructions (ex. turn right in 800m) still work and are correctly displayed
- If I zoom out to about 200m or 500m (it's different every time) then everything is displayed correctly.

I am not using the official maps anymore, instead I put in a SD card with the widely available BMW maps, so this is the main culprit of course. However, the issue is not consistent. Sometimes it happens, then if I drive to the same location a few days later there is no problem.

Which is why I wanted to ask if this is a known issue with the RNEG unit before I start experimenting with different versions of the BMW maps...

Thank you!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: map showing I am in the middle of nowhere... until I zoom out.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not that I'm aware of and likely to be another subtle issue with non-official map use. You may want to make a note of the exact location coordinates where this is happening, then revert back to the last official map update (2016-2) for this system and then go back to the exact location and test it again to see if you can replicate the issue. If it works correctly then I think you have your answer.

Also, make sure you have not got the 'Synchronise time with GPS’ option selected - this can play havoc with positioning since the April 2019 GPS N Week Rollover Issue.

How many satellites are visible?

If there are very few then you may have an aerial issue, which you can test with a cheap GPS aerial plugged into the back of the head unit, then drive around for at least 10 minutes to allow the locking on of satellites (sitting still won't work - you must dive the car). If the number of satellites improves significantly, you may need to replace the aerial or check the connections.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc