2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Stiff Throttle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave21120
My Cars: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Exclusive x2

2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Stiff Throttle

Post by dave21120 »

Hello everybody

I've recently acquired a 2003 C5 HDI hatch with the 2.0 8v 110 engine and manual gearbox. This is my third C5, but the first time I have had a diesel one. Its in great condition and drives well. When I got it, it was rather slow, which I traced to a lot of slack in the throttle cable (something that affected my last two litre petrol C5 as well)

Now adjusted and slack removed, we have full power and full throttle pedal travel, but I still notice that the accelerator on my car is very heavy and needs an almighty shove before acceleration starts happening. This makes it tricky to pull away smoothly and I'd like to try and improve that. I've lubricated the moving parts of the TPS under the fuse box in the engine bay and the pedal mechanism itself, but little difference.

I've read on this forum that Citroen modified the original cable set up to a purely electronic version during the cars life and a Citroen dealer would make this change retrospectively. I'd be interested in doing this on my car. The electronic throttle pedal would appear to be readily available, but does anyone know or have the wiring diagram/detail that you'd need to connect the pedal to the TPS to make it work?

Many thanks indeed

David
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Stiff Throttle

Post by wheeler »

I highly doubt this would be a feasible modification. For a start the pedals with built in throttle sensor are Hall effect & the older style one you have is a potentiometer.
Have you tried replacing the cable & checked that is routed correctly.
dave21120
My Cars: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Exclusive x2

Re: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Stiff Throttle

Post by dave21120 »

Hello Wheeler, thanks for your reply

I haven't replaced the cable no, but as far as I can tell it is routed correctly. I'll have a better look where it passes through the bulkhead though, just in case there is some kind of restriction.