ZX service advice much appreciated!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimech
My Cars:

ZX service advice much appreciated!

Post by Jimech »

Thank you to all who replied to my previous questions regarding the servicing of my ZX 1.9D.
I found that in the end to remove the crank pulley bolt we had to place a large flat head screwdriver such as to jam ring gear (from haynes manual). I was a little concerned about snapping off the teeth but all seemed fine. (I did later notice, after rolling round underneath the car, that there is access to the ring gear from underneath as well, so two assistants could share the "jamming" load)
I have a little tip I can offer, a quick fix for the rear parcel shelf. The retracting cords no longer retracted, so I removed them. Each one is made of a piece of chord, a loop on one end, and the other attached to a piece of thin elastic rope. I cut the chord close to the plastic stop on the elastic rope end. This left a length a chord, a loop on one end, and nothing on the other.
I then removed, from one side, the little plastic hook they attach to on the inside of the boot, replacing it with a washer so the rubber hold down for the parcel shelf would still work. I then screwed this plastic hook to the underside of the parcel shelf, in the centre of the back edge, it sat quite nicely on the angled part, and meant the screw to attach it on went into the "thicker" part of the shelf.
I then drilled a hole (the same size as the chord) in the wiper motor cover, in its lowest part when the boot is open. Threaded the non loop end of the earlier prepared chord through the hole and tied a knot in it, such that it would not pull back through. Replaced the wiper motor cover, lifted the parcel shelf up, and then hooked the loop in the chord onto the newly positioned plastic hook on the shelf.
When you close the boot now the chord collects in the boot, and doesn't go any where near the boot seal! Only time will tell how well this new design will last!
Many thanks again
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Jim quoth:<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I found that in the end to remove the crank pulley bolt we had to place a large flat head screwdriver such as to jam ring gear (from haynes manual). I was a little concerned about snapping off the teeth but all seemed fine. (I did later notice, after rolling round underneath the car, that there is access to the ring gear from underneath as well, so two assistants could share the "jamming" load)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not much chance of breaking teeth on a ring gear, unless you are Superman! [:o)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I have a little tip I can offer, a quick fix for the rear parcel shelf. The retracting cords no longer retracted, so I removed them. Each one is made of a piece of chord, a loop on one end, and the other attached to a piece of thin elastic rope. I cut the chord close to the plastic stop on the elastic rope end. This left a length a chord, a loop on one end, and nothing on the other.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is it not far easier just to fit new elastic cord as per original? I will take some measurements and do a write-up for the Tips section to submit to Jon, when I acquire a Round Tuit [:D]
Jimech
My Cars:

Post by Jimech »

Easier but less personalised! I was just tinkering in the workshop and thought it was quite a cunning little bodge!