How FDV operates?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

praud
My Cars:

How FDV operates?

Post by praud »

Hi!
Can someone explain in details, how FDV is working? I know for what it is and how it works generally, but what is going on inside of it, I'm not sure about. F.ex. why and when those pistons move inside of it etc. Or does someone have good material about FDV, what could be useful reading for me?
Regards,
Priit
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

look in the links section under 'Gabor's textbook' Good descriptions here as to how it all works.
Jeremy
praud
My Cars:

Post by praud »

I know how it all works, but I just don't know how FDV works. And in Gabor/Zeljko "Citroen guide" there is nothing about FDV. Gabor himself said that they plan to do it but haven't done it yet.
Regards,
Priir
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thinking about it I think the description of the FDV comes under power steering.
Briefly the valve controls the flow of LHM to the power steering and to the rest of the system. With no pressure on the steering wheel the fluid goes to the regulator and hence the rest of the system. A small flow is provided to the steering and whn that is free it returns to the tank and that system is de-pressurised. Turn the steering wheel, the return flow is stopped as the pinion valve shuts and the increase in pressure causes the top slider in the valve to move and cut off or reduce significantly the supply to the regulator, making full flow available for the steering.
The valve is also connected to the return circuits which are handled by the bottom valves.
Hope this is some help.
Try P 38 of Gabor's guide - its where I learned about it!
Jeremy