DS3 Crossback - Navigation not working after firmware update to screen ?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

John-DS
My Cars: DS3 Crossback

DS3 Crossback - Navigation not working after firmware update to screen ?

Post by John-DS »

I wonder if anyone can help me

Just bought a DS3 Crossback and loving the car - But I had a message on the DS app saying there was an update for the screen. I did the update and now I have no navigation. It just says something like Map Initialization error or similar and wont work

Any Help appreciated
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS3 Crossback - Navigation not working after firmware update to screen ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are 2 types of software: 1) is the firmware or Head Unit System Software and the other is the Mapping Data Software. Both are entirely separate and must be updated independently.

It depends on the system you have and as you haven't specified a VIN or a Year we won't know what type of system you have to advise further. But I suspect it is the Connect NAV system for such a new car.

That being the case, you will have 2 options for updating it - via download to your PC and then onto a USB, then plug it in to update, or secondly, if you have WiFi onboard, then it can automatically update the software whilst you are out. That said, given the mixed reception and signal, it's not the ideal way top do it in my opinion as it can take an age to update this way - and if you stop the car the system stops the download, so it can take an age to update directly. Also, if can cause corruption if interrupted.

I suggest that you get the update on USB (make sure the USB is formatted to FAT32) and excludes any other files apart from the update file.

Do the system software first (if available) and then the navigation software next, making sure the USB is formatted in between each update.

The car needs to be running while doing this to prevent energy saving mode kicking in and interrupting the update. This can take anywhere up to an hour to do for each so be prepared and ensure you have the time to spare. Interrupting an update can brick the system or cause issues.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply. The Car is 2019

I have done the update - I got a notification from the DS app on my phone and a link to download the software to do it. I did the update which was only for the screen not the maps but now the navigation wont work. The screen works but not the navigation
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There was a problem with one of the firmware updates a couple of year or two ago which basically made the NAC unusable. Exactly how I can't remember as I only read about it. It took a little while for another firmware update to be issued that corrected the faulty update so maybe you haven't got the latest version.

Do you know what version of firmware you updated to?

It's possible that the firmware is the latest but that it's become corrupted. Exactly what did you do in the process of downloading and updating?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

I used the desktop software and tried a few times and it would not work. It got to the point of putting the software on the USB and then it would fail. I then noticed in the instructions that you could unpack the file and put it on the USB yourself following their guide. I did that and it all seemed to update as described - took around 10 min I had the engine running and then when finished all seemed fine apart from no navigation
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

No idea what version of firmware you were installing?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

John-DS

Post by John-DS »

My phone app still says it need the update so the one I installed was 42 03 33 42_NAC-r0 30/07/2021
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

I thought I could try again but now the desktop software just says "No update needed" it somehow knows I have installed it ? I thought maybe the app would have found that out when close to car which would make sense but my app is still saying "Needs update" ???

Is there a way to force the desktop software to download again so I can try once more ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you downloaded it onto your PC it should still be there - check your downloads folder or it may be located where the App is installed in a folder there, but to be honest, 10 minutes does seem too quick for an update.... so maybe some of the files was corrupted during download.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

John-DS wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:02 My phone app still says it need the update so the one I installed was 42 03 33 42_NAC-r0 30/07/2021
That seems to be the latest version.. For interest this is what it's supposed to fix:

Change log:
- Failure to translate into Hungarian language
- When looking for an electric charging station, the navigation menu turned blue or white
- After stopping the vehicle throughout the weekend (Saturday and Sunday), a permanent relocation of the GPS appears on Monday but the fault disappears after a restart
- Restart of the NAC W4 radionavigation with the appearance of the brand's monogram if the telephone is connected in Bluetooth and after a few minutes of driving
- No tactile button displayed in the screen of the NAC W4 radio navigation system for the seats massaging passengers
- Evolution of the old NAC W3 radio navigation software to the new NAC W4 radio navigation software

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

John-DS wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:05 I thought I could try again but now the desktop software just says "No update needed" it somehow knows I have installed it ? I thought maybe the app would have found that out when close to car which would make sense but my app is still saying "Needs update" ???

Is there a way to force the desktop software to download again so I can try once more ?
The system firmware is 23.17Gb, so would take far more than 10 minutes to install.

The last Map update was 6.3.0-r0

However if the system firmware has not been updated properly, then you will likely have issues. If you can't download the firmware file again, let me know and I can provide you with a link for it.

Marc
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:42 If you downloaded it onto your PC it should still be there - check your downloads folder or it may be located where the App is installed in a folder there, but to be honest, 10 minutes does seem too quick for an update.... so maybe some of the files was corrupted during download.
Yeah you would think so but sometimes the desktop software would delete it so I had to download a few times. In the end I moved it after download to stop it doing that but I then I stupidly deleted it myself when I thought it was all on the pen OK as the download was massive (24 GB)
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 13:14
John-DS wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:05 I thought I could try again but now the desktop software just says "No update needed" it somehow knows I have installed it ? I thought maybe the app would have found that out when close to car which would make sense but my app is still saying "Needs update" ???

The system firmware is 23.17Gb, so would take far more than 10 minutes to install.

The last Map update was 6.3.0-r0

However if the system firmware has not been updated properly, then you will likely have issues.
Well I said 10 min but it might have been longer - probably 20min and it was 24 GB
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

Paul-R wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:48
John-DS wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:02 My phone app still says it need the update so the one I installed was 42 03 33 42_NAC-r0 30/07/2021
That seems to be the latest version.. For interest this is what it's supposed to fix:

Change log:
- Failure to translate into Hungarian language
- When looking for an electric charging station, the navigation menu turned blue or white
- After stopping the vehicle throughout the weekend (Saturday and Sunday), a permanent relocation of the GPS appears on Monday but the fault disappears after a restart
- Restart of the NAC W4 radionavigation with the appearance of the brand's monogram if the telephone is connected in Bluetooth and after a few minutes of driving
- No tactile button displayed in the screen of the NAC W4 radio navigation system for the seats massaging passengers
- Evolution of the old NAC W3 radio navigation software to the new NAC W4 radio navigation software
I wished I had left it alone... it was all working fine :(
John-DS

Post by John-DS »

So is there any way to download the map software separate even when it says its up to date... any manual way ?