C5 Alternator removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnnyj

C5 Alternator removal

Post by johnnyj »

Hi folks. My car is a 2004 C5 saloon, 1.8 ltr petrol with numbers VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. It is LHD with aircon.

The alternator is getting hot and smoking when the battery is connected (even with the ignition off and car not started), so I checked the main earth straps in and around the engine bay for corrosion etc. They appear to be ok, so I am assuming the alternator needs rebuilding or replacing.

The problem I am having is in removing the alternator. I just can't understand how to remove the bolts. One appears to be behind the idler pulley and access is very limited. I have the car on a jack with the wheel arch liner and undertray removed. The job appears to be so impossible that I have started to think I am missing something very, very obvious!

Weirdly I can find very little info about changing a C5 alternator on the internet, so I hope you kind people can throw some light on the issue.

Thanks again

John
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Re: C5 Alternator removal

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Had a look a the Haynes BOL and it does say "On some engines it may be necessary to remove the drive belt idler to get to the nuts and bolts."
johnnyj

Re: C5 Alternator removal

Post by johnnyj »

Ah, that starts to help a lot and is what I suspected. So I guess it is a case of (a) slacken off/remove the tensioner (b) remove the idler (c) try to get to the alternator bolts. I assume it doesn't mean take off just the idler pulley using its centre bolt - it means remove the whole idler assembly?

Many thanks

John