In Gear Question...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

In Gear Question...

Post by Doo »

Right chaps, curious one for you.

I'm still relatively new to the piloted box. I like it, but the epoch it takes to change up is a tad nippy :roll: That aside, I don't mind it.

However, I'm having rear brake issues... I had to strip & rebuild the rear right caliper as I thought it was sticking. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it, but the pads were stickng in the carrier. No surprise there, they'd been cooked. So got them off, cleaned the mating faces of pad/carrier, checked parking brake cable, all was well and no issues for almost 25 miles :shock: What? Smoke belting off the same wheel so popped to factor, bought new pads, parking brake cables etc and about to tackle it "again" :(

Anyway, I needed to roll the car forward a bit but she was solid!! Actually, not solid. I tried rocking it to undo the brake and saw the wheel was free as a bird, but the car wouldn't move more that a couple of inches :?:

It was almost as if a manual car was in gear... I looked in and saw the turn selector was in A. So ignition on, twist to N and all was well, the car rolled beautifully.

But who knew :| Figured I'd ask/tell in case someone is scratching their head too :)

So my next question, is it possible the hill assist might be causing issue with the sticky caliper? I've stripped the moving parts, all clean. The carrier was cleaned with the wire brush on the grinder. The caliper taken apart, etc. Properly bled and the usual brake issues dealt with.... Except not #-o

I'm sure I'll figure it out. But is it possible for the hill assist to be faulty without flagging up a warning? I'll check using the Lexia, but the car is otherwise fine.

Strange though :?:
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: In Gear Question...

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Which car are we talking about - can't tell from your profile or the description?

Hill start assist is generally controlled by the ESP ECU and if there is anything wrong, you'll get warnings concerning it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 21:14 Which car are we talking about - can't tell from your profile or the description?

Hill start assist is generally controlled by the ESP ECU and if there is anything wrong, you'll get warnings concerning it.
Aha, silly me. My 2012 Lingo X-TR.

However, I "did" think it would be strange if the HA as faulty as this car has generally behaved itself well considering the milage (just coming u 149,000).

I was initially curious as to why the piloted box would leave 1st gear engaged, but then being that it has a standard clutch, I guess turning the ignition off just after creeping forward and leaviing it in A is akin to leaving a manual car in 1st gear & switching off he ignition. I guess it can't just disengage without power to do so.

As for the brake, the actual problem was obvious when I removed the wheel. When I initially cleaned the mating faces, I would have removed enough rust to allow the pads to sit just far enough back to catch the raised surface rust on the part of the disc not "cleaned" when the brake is applied. So that lumpy bumpy section was just enough to start grabbing the pads and wearing them down. The hotter everything got, the minute amount of expansion kept the portion of the pad against the rusty surface and it started smoking. I have decided to leave the pads in (although I will keep hold of the new pads and get a set of discs soon) in place as I took the mini grinder and shaved off a sliver off the edge of the rear section as well as take the wire wheel to the portion of disc that was snagging the pads. It appears to have done the trick. Nothing is dragging or smoking or generally being a pain in the butt :-D

The front discs and pads are months old and in good order, so no worries there. However, tomorrow I mostly have to replace the strut top bearings. So the drop links will be the worst part of that removal process #-o Mind you, my Parkside impact gun can go up to 400Nm of torque, so it shouldn't be too much of a stress 8-)

Always fun and games with old cars 8-[
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow