Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jazz2001
My Cars:

Spheres

Post by Jazz2001 »

have a few question regarding the Xantia Spheres. Ive got a 1.9td LX Xantia, any idea on how many sphere i have? I have taken alook at the GSF catalogue and it has front, rear, accumaltor, front gen and rear gen? So any idea which ones i need? Im going for a full sphere change. Also whats the best way to get the spheres off? Is it worth getting the sphere removal tool? Last question - What are the reconditioned spheres like, is there a big difference or noticable difference to the new spheres?
Thanks and hope you can help.
Jazz
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Jazz,
If it's a K or early L reg, it'll probably have 5; later L reg's onwards normally have 6; 1994 cars can have either 5 or 6, dependant on whether or not anti-sink is fitted.
The best trick is a sphere removal tool, either one from GSF/Pleiades, or try making one up as detailed previously (search for "sphere removal tool" in the search box) from a bit of all-thread and some 1"x1" box section. Rear spheres are best "cracked" (1/8th turn, not much more) with the suspension on high, other wise you'll most likely break the hydraulic pipe feeding the rear rams. All spheres must be replaced with a) system depressurised and b) on lowest height setting.
The new/recon debate will be as long as your arm... I cheated (!) and took the car to Westroen in Manchester who fitted their own recon spheres, with a 3 year guarantee, for £25 each, all in. If I only had a pre-anti-sink LX, i'd probably have done it myself, but with an anti-sink equipped VSX (8 spheres), I let them do it! Only found out when taking off the old ones, they had done the spheres on it previously!
Jazz2001
My Cars:

Post by Jazz2001 »

Cheers Mate, Great Help
James