Stop Engine Temperature Warning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kronosone
My Cars: 2003 Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol

Stop Engine Temperature Warning

Post by kronosone »

I hope one of you kind, knowledgeable people can help with a problem with my 2003 picasso 1.6 petrol. To summarise when the car is stationery with the engine running the "Stop Engine Temperature" warning flashes up on the dash and the temp gauge goes up to max. The fan then cuts in for about 1 second and the gauge returns to normal. This happens about every 10 seconds (if you are still stuck in traffic), but once you get moving again (I'm assuming) the air rushing through the engine bay stops it happening.

I've connected a OBD2 scanner to check the water temp when this is happening and it happens around 98-99 degrees. Then the fan cuts in and it drops to around 94/95 degrees and the warning stops.

I've checked the coolant level... It's perfectly fine... and the aircon works but does make the issue worse.

I've noticed that another forum member had almost identical symptoms to mine, but his fan was not cutting in at all... Hence my post...

I hope you can help.

Cheers,

Andy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Stop Engine Temperature Warning

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not quite seeing the issue - sounds as if it is doing what it is supposed to - fan cutting in at circa 100 degrees and switching off when it falls below that. If the car is stuck in crawling traffic in hot temps then this is going to happen with limited to no airflow getting in to cool the radiator from the RAM effect of a moving car. If your A/C is on, the fan will be on low speed anyway, and what you can hear is probably when the fan kicks into high speed mode to assist with cooling.

The warnings seem to be right too in advising when the temperature is high.

Unless you are saying this is happening all the time regardless of being stuck in traffic?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kronosone
My Cars: 2003 Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol

Post by kronosone »

I get that the fan is supposed to cut in, what I don't understand is why I get the "Stop Engine Overheating" warning on the dash? Also, the fan only ever kicks in for 1 second and then turns off, it doesn't come on at all if the A/C is running....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well the advice if the warning lamp / message comes on is to stop and allow the engine to cool and check the levels. Which is why I asked if it is doing this routinely or just under crawling traffic conditions in hot weather. Assuming you have the A/C on too is always going to produce more heat from the condenser radiator that is only going to be cooled by the fan if the traffic is at a standstill / slow moving.

You should have 3 speeds for the fan on models with A/C.

The following info is relevant to your vehicle:
  • The triggering threshold for the warning on the instrument panel is 118 °C and it goes off at 115 °C.
  • Post cooling can operate for 6 minutes and this is triggered if the temperature is at 105 °C.
  • Coolant temp. limit for low speed fan speed engagement is 97 °C
  • Coolant temp. limit for low speed fan speed cut off is 94 °C
  • Coolant temperature limit for high speed (Engagement) 105 °C
  • Coolant temperature limit for high speed (Cut-off) 102 °C
  • Temperature for triggering of the cooling fan 97 °C
But if you are routinely having this issue, I would be looking at:

When was the coolant system last serviced? (drained and refilled). A proper service would entail checking the mixture ratios are correct.

I'd also be checking the thermostat and the water temperature sensor. These should be both attached to the coolant housing outlet.

Pop up your VIN and I can check the specifics for your engine.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc