BX19GTI (8v) Ignition Timing.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard.G

BX19GTI (8v) Ignition Timing.

Post by Richard.G »

Hello All
Yesterday I replaced the Bosch Distributor JGFU4 (0 237 009 607)
on my 1988 BX19GTI (8V) I adjusted the Distributor by listening to the
engine and locked the distributor in the position which I thought was
correct. On dismantling the old distributor it looks as if the Vacuum
advance mechanism was at fault. Drove about 100miles today and the
car is now running smoothly and starts first key. Although the car is now running ok, I thought I would like to check it with a Timing Light, called into GSF but unfortunately they do not stock timing lights. The only make stocked by the local car accessories shops was Gunson purchased the 4132.
Would like some advice on the following, Please
1, I had a problem seeing any timing marks on the flywheel, do to the number of cables and pipes going across the access hole in the top of the housing, was able to move some of the cables out of the way, but the access view was still very limited and I was still unable to see the timing marks do to the 1" pipes going to the SAC valve, what I want to do tomorrow is move the SAC unit to a different position in the engine compartment so the pipe will not run across the timing aperture and block the view of the timing marks.
2, What is the best position to hold the Timing Light and view the Timing Marks, is it vertical towards the flywheel access hole or at a 45 deg angle ?
3, I am not sure what timing marks I am looking for, The only info I can find in the BX Haynes Manual is on page 128 but this shows the BX16. Does the 8v BX19GTI have the same 3 markings 2 on the cover plate TDC and 5 deg BTDC and 1 on the flywheel ?
4, I would like to mark these with white paint if I can gain more access,and also mark the distributor top, a mark for 5 deg BTDC for 4*LRP and 2 deg BTDC for unleaded as I hope to use unleaded sometime in the future.
Hope to have a better view of the Timing Marks tomorrow once I have
rerouted the Pipes and moved the SA Control Valve.
Any Tips and Advice on setting up the timing marks on my
1988 8v BX19GTI would be very much appreciated,
Thank You,
Richard G
Located in Norwich, Norfolk.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Richard -
To my knowledge, all BX engines have a timing mark, no matter if the mechanical timing can be adjusted or not.
You have to "dig" your way down to the access hole, as you need to find the timing mark before using the stroboscope.
If you then remove the plug from either cylinder 1 or 4, and gauge with a piece of wire when you have TDC, you should be able to at least see a narrow marking down there on the flywheel.
You'll need a good strong floodlight, as the the marking is very hard to recognise on the rusty surface of the flywheel.
Once found, simply rub clean, then mark with white ink, and you're flying [8D]
You need to have a vertical LOS for your eyes, to avoid viewing angle errors, then simply aim the stroboscope adequately. It will be VERY clear once engine & scope are up and running.
REMEMBER : Any timing spec is always given with vacuum hose disconnected, and at certain engine rpm.