Firmware/Map update advice needed

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

admiral51
Donor 2023

Re: Firmware/Map update advice needed

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc

On that link it states "IMPORTANT The minimum software version required to use this product is 2.10."

Mine is 2.05 not been updated since new ie 2010 so maybe i will need to leave it as is or buy a map :)

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That being the case, just update the firmware Colin. If that is the case then the map may not work without that level of firmware - buying another map is not an option as they are only designed to work with these (unless you mean a paper version of course :-D ).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Sorry Marc yes i meant the old fashioned paper map :)

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

According to my information, you should be able to go to Version 2.21 without any configuration issues. Versions after this may require dealership intervention.

As a precaution, you may want to backup your user data files using Mirascripts using part A of the guide I wrote to replace the RT6 MicroSD card. Part A can be used to backup and save the user data files in case you need to restore them in future.

viewtopic.php?p=610017#p610017

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Marc you advised that 2.21 was only a factory update ( a long time ago :) ) and no longer available so 2.86 is the one that dealers would update which can cause problems.
Think i will leave well alone as it works well enough for a truck driver to get somewhere close and then if needed use Google Maps as the phone links to the headunit :)

As always you have gone above and beyond and stopped me chucking money away.

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That was some time ago, so I probably can't remember everything Colin, but yes, there are some versions that are factory firmware versions released and others that are released afterwards. Citroen only provide the latest version for purchase, so I can't confirm now.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Colin. Check your PM.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Replied Paul :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 16:38 According to my information, you should be able to go to Version 2.21 without any configuration issues. Versions after this may require dealership intervention.

As a precaution, you may want to backup your user data files using Mirascripts using part A of the guide I wrote to replace the RT6 MicroSD card. Part A can be used to backup and save the user data files in case you need to restore them in future.

viewtopic.php?p=610017#p610017
Marc i have access to firmware version 2.21 which i have extracted to a USB stick but i cannot,probably for lack of tech know how,get the Mirascript back up to work, it just does not accept that USB stick with it on it, just says no audio file on it.
That is not a problem as such as i can use Diagbox to take screenshots of the settings and go back and reset them to as they were before the update.

My question is the firmware update on the USB is acknowledged but i stopped within seconds before it did anything but do i need to do anything to remove any windows system file on the USB

Sorry just i am not tech savvy lol

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Colin you can't use Mirascripts with a firmware update simultaneously. You have to do one or the other. Ideally you need 2 USB devices, so you can

1) If you want to back up your existing configuration, follow Part A of the Guide (Link below)
2) Once you have saved the configuration, use another freshly formatted USB key which you should only extract the contents of the firmware files to. Once done, switch vehicle on and wait until system has booted, then insert USB key. It will detect a later firmware and ask if you want to update - follow guidance and expect to wait for 45 mins at least.
3) When step 2 is completed and you've confirmed that the later firmware is installed, check through the system functions and personal settings and see if everything is working. If so, you may not need to use Part B of Mirascripts in the guide to restore your settings. If not:
4) Use Part B of the Miracripts section to restore user and vehicle configuration files.

viewtopic.php?t=63227

To reiterate, never mix Mirascripts and Firmware files on the same USB.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc
I have used separate USB for the Firmware and Mirascript but i cannot do the part of save as "All Files (.) " i do not have that option it just shows "All Files ". Told you i am no good at tech :)
If i take screen shots of the user config via Diagbox then after the Firmware Update ( If i extract just the update and nothing else ) i should be able to use Diagbox to reset them if they are wrong ?

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok I know it sounds a bit technical, but that part is for saving my batch file for removing the hidden and system files that Windows loves to populate everywhere. When you save anything in Notepad, the default file extension it gives is TXT, so if i typed a file and saved it with the filename of 'example' Notepad would save it with the txt extension, so it would be saved as: 'example.txt'. When you change the "Save as Type" under the filename dialogue box, to All Files (*.*), it basically allows you to provide a filename and any extension you want - which in the case of the Batch file would be 'Remove Sys Vol Inf.bat'.

This would save it with the .bat extension which is a special type of file that can execute the contents and run when double clicked in this case.

If this is too complicated, then maybe you should try running from parts 1 to 3 then skip to 10 in Part A. This will skip the batch file part (which I only wrote to automate the removal of the hidden system and volume information files that windows creates as it could interfere with the update).

See how you get on by omitting those steps.

You can't use Diagbox Colin, as the information is not stored there - it is stored inside the RT6 only and that is why we need Mirascripts to extract and later restore the data directly to the Head Unit.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Marc
I made the mistake of extracting everything onto the USB which included some chrome instructions.
So extracted everything to new formatted USB, deleted all files except the RT_6UserCom.CMD then moved the 4 folders to desktop. Formatted USB and then moved the 4 folders back to it.
Ran your file to remove hidden files i had saved it correctly just confused by the lack of (*.*) it just saved as All Files.
Put USB into head unit, started car and asked if i wanted to copy user data said yes then asked to copy said yes and all completed.
Just to be sure waited a few minutes and put USB back in started up and it asked if i wanted to write user data so fingers crossed that bit has worked :)

So i have firmware 2.21 on a USB which i have also run your hidden file removal so can i just put the firmware USB in start the car and let it run or is there anything else i should do first ?

Thanks again for all your help as always

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you've jumped the gin a bit Colin - once you've copied your user data files off with Mirascripts Part A - you don't copy any thing back as in Part B until you have performed the firmware update - as this wouldn't achieve anything except copy the files from the RT6 and pasting them back before you've updated the firmware...

Once you have updated the firmware, check the system first BEFORE using the mirascripts to copy back your data, as you may not need to if everything is working ok.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I didn't actually copy them back i just wanted to see if it would ask me to and it did so in my head that means i have done the copy bit correctly :)

So i will try the firmware update tomorrow and see what happens will make sure all phones are bluetooth disabled for the duration of the update just incase

Colin