valve clearances

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

valve clearances

Post by vanny »

Hi folks, have been putting the engine back together and found a small snag! (for the record, one had bent, no obvious damage to valve stem guides, head, pistons or cam shaft)
Basically the new valve seals fine, but none of the rest do, they all have the same gap of opening. Now obviously this isnt right, and i would have thought that its simply down to the clearances, but how would this effect the others? If there sprung closed, should they not be forced closed unless something pushes them open, in this case the cam. But the same shims have been used for all the valves etc
Im confused :(
And where am i ever gonna find shims tomorrow? God how i wish this country was more like the states with every shop open 24 hrs!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Vanny,
How are you judging/testing that none of the old valves seal?
David
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

i can see day light looking through the inlet/exhaust ports :D
BUT i've figured it out, took all the caps off (tappets or what ever) and not one of the shims where sat centrally to the top of the spring. There is a little recess in the bit that holds onto the top of the valve where the shims should sit, they werent!
but now the new valve is rather sloppy! It seals, but doesnt fully open :( Oh well will have to find me some shims!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Vanny, read the B.O.L. and let me know how thick a shim you need, I have some spares, as you havent gone mad recutting seats etc you should be in range for using standard shims, see you on the road soon!!!!
Stewart
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Vanny, its well worth spending the time to get the clearance correct, I always check mine when I do the cambelt. It made the world of difference to my old C15D. The trouble is you need a micrometer to read the size of the ones you have in order to work out what 'new' ones you require.
Strangely I've found Peugeot dealers seem to carry a selection in stock whereas Citroen ones don't! However the part numbers are the same.
If you are having trouble keeping the shims in place then try using a very thin layer of grease on them, but make sure you turn the camshaft over several times to 'extract' the grease from your 'size calculations'.