Non Starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

killie7788
My Cars: Berlingo XTR 2013

Non Starter

Post by killie7788 »

Thought i would change the Fuel and air filter on my 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6 HDI
Airfilter was no problem to change, original was well. Past its time
I had ordered a replacement fuel filter which I assumed was the Delphi one black body.
When I removed the old filter it had the metal body.i had a look at it opened it up flushed it out with some fresh diesel. Unknown to me the grommet that sits on top of the filter,kind of a teardrop shape had fallen out.I put everything back together engine started ran for about 30 seconds then died. I guess it was using up the Fuel in the injectors. Took me
A little while to realise the grommet was missing luckily I found it near the car. Replaced in the Fuel filter put it all back together with fresh fuel in the filter. Put the ignition on for about 30 seconds could here something whirring near the filter.Tried to start nothing doing.I then proceeded to pump the primer button on top of the filter thinking that would draw fuel up from the Tank. The button moves but without any sign of resistance as if its not getting fuel up from the Tank.Im guessing their is air in the system but not sure where to start with removing it..When I take the Filler Cap from the Tank their us a whooshing noise like their is a Vaccum in the tank .?
Any help would be most appreciated
Ian
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Non Starter

Post by Dormouse »

hi. How much fuel is in the tank?
Daft I know, but try to pump up fuel with the tank cap off and listen to the noises from the tank. Going to be a 2 person task unless you have very long arms.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

next daft thing. Is the Berlingo sitting on a slope pointing up hill or jacked up on stands?
killie7788

Post by killie7788 »

Thanks for the reply. Theirs about half a Tank offer in the tank.
Car is sitting in the driveway. Have tried pumping it with the Fuel cap removed. Still no pressure.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Sounds like an air lock right enough. Hopefully someone will come on shortly with an answer.
killie7788

Post by killie7788 »

Finally got it started.their is a small lever which sits behind the Priming button..
This wasturned to the right which releases fuel, from the filter sort of a water trap I guess. I turned it to the left and then pushed down and it locks under a ledge. I guess this seals the filter not allowing air to enter.. I managed to prime it using the button and got it started
Many thanks for the replies
Ian