Ticking Xantia Speedo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulee
My Cars:

Ticking Xantia Speedo

Post by Paulee »

Hi
The speedo in my Xantia VSX TD starts ticking at about 30mph and continues increasing in speed with the car speed.
It sounds like the cable and not the speedo ? and is quite annoying
Are there any simple cures for this ? the speedo works fine and is steady at all speeds...
thanks....Paulee
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

paulee,
if you ever happen to have the clocks out try putting a little good quality grease on the square cable end where it joins the union at the rear of the speedo.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Unless your Xantia is very different from the ones I've pulled apart, you will have an electric speedo, therefore no cable into the back of it.
Have you had the car from new? Is the mileage correct? 'Clocking' is well known for causing this, although I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
If not then it could just be the speedo itself.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Some are mechanical, some are electrical...
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

My 'L' reg xantia was ticking too. I pulled out the cluster and applied grease as suggested above..........worked a treat! The later xantia's changed to electric instead of cable.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Hi Richard
my Xantia has a fully documented history and Is a 92 VSX TD with 80,000 on the clock (genuine)
Is the speedo electric ? or cable ? any ideas appreciated..
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I know my '94 (M) VSX TD has an electronic speedo (Jaeger instruments), but not sure if that helps!
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

If you drive in reverse, an electronic speedo will register a positive speed, whereas a mechanical one will try very hard to register a negative speed.
Jamie