Led Lights

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Led Lights

Post by Xantippa »

It seems that now led-bulbs might just work on headlights - at least if they´re H7-bulbs in projector -headlights. I will be testing this soon on our "new" ZOE. Previous experiences from other ZOE-owners seem encouraging when looking at before and after pictures.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Led Lights

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So you've gone over to Renault!

I would of thought that with an electric vehicle, they would come with LED lights anyway as they use less power???

As it stands though and without a change in European law, LED bulbs in Headlamps designed for Halogen Bulbs still won't be legal. Our UK MOT now states this as a check to be made from March 2021:
Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.
... and as the UK seem to still be following some EU rules :roll: , I suspect it will be the same or similar in the EU.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Are you saying that they will or won't work in projector headlamps? I have read that there seems to be some kind of problem with projector headlamps but exactly what I don't know. Maybe it's only a problem in certain cars?

I have Philips Ultinon Xtreme HT LEDs in our Mk2 308 and they give an excellent beam pattern in the reflector headlamps. My C5 X7 also has reflector headlamps but, although the LED bulbs will physically fit into the headlamps, the retaining mechanism for the bulbs is too bulky. Instead of a simple wire clip it uses a bulky plastic block which combines the bulb plug and stays in place with an interference fit. If I want to use the LED bulbs I will have to make a small extension lead and separate retainer block.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 25 Aug 2021, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've duplicated your Post Here Paul, as I moved the Topic probably whilst you were replying.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Xantippa wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 07:18 I will be testing this soon on our "new" ZOE. Previous experiences from other ZOE-owners seem encouraging when looking at before and after pictures.
Welcome to Electric Vehicles, not many FCF members have taken the plunge so far. but in the Off Topic Chat Lounge section of the forum there are plenty threads and discussion attempting to keep up with the changes underway, and are hopefully informative for viewers and participants alike.

Feel free to start a blog or a new thread on the Zoe. I certainly would be interested, and chip in with the other threads as you wish.

My experience is in this thread entitled Bargain Basement Electric. The only cars which fit into that category at the moment in the UK are the Zoe and the Nissan Leaf, but others may drift in as the second hand market matures.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=63910

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 11:07 So you've gone over to Renault!

I would of thought that with an electric vehicle, they would come with LED lights anyway as they use less power???

As it stands though and without a change in European law, LED bulbs in Headlamps designed for Halogen Bulbs still won't be legal. Our UK MOT now states this as a check to be made from March 2021:
Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.
... and as the UK seem to still be following some EU rules :roll: , I suspect it will be the same or similar in the EU.
Yes, our C4 automatic was just too expensive to be parked at garage, and driven max. 200km per month. Now I´ve left my C5 HDi240 on "semi-retirement", and will be using it on longer journeys and when trailer is needed. Or just for fun sometimes. More time for tuning and maintenance, and maybe we can enjoy our X7 many years more this way, when we drive it only max 10000km per year. ZOE is used as daily-driver to work and shops and so on. 150km range is more than enough for us. We´ll be saving 2600€ yearly on taxes, fuel, insurance and repair/maintenance -costs.

Yes I know leds are illegal, they´re standard only on later models from 2019 or 2020 I think. Our 2015 model has normal H7 projector-lights which are pretty useless as standard. I think MOT in Finland isn´t very interested in lights when light-pattern is ok.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That makes sense - I reluctantly sold my X7 in December - and this will be the first time ever that I have never owned a Hydraulically suspended vehicle since I was a teenager! :cry:

I just wasn't doing the miles and she does not like sitting around doing nothing, and the short journeys are just no good for her.

I know what you mean regarding the lights - the halogens on the Aircross are dreadful. First thing I did that was legal was to get rid of the stock bulbs and put some Philips Extreme upgrades in which is about all I can do until they do something about the rules.

It really should be more based on the beam pattern and light output for the test and not just a matter of failing them for any LEDs in a halogen unit. That would be more reasonable and may even get the manufacturers to tune the LED designs so more people could use them legally and they would sell more of them.

Marc
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Oh no. I think my C5 will be the last Citroen for me, next big car will be either 508 GT hybrid, or some full electric car. Too bad Citroen is not offering anything interesting at the moment.

Luckily in Finland it´s very cheap and easy (via internet service) to put car on "seasonal insurance" (means not used at traffic). It´s 5€ per time, and insurance + taxes cost over 3€/day. So it costs around 1500€ per year to have C5 X7 HDi240 ready for traffic - eventhough I wouldn´t drive it at all. I plan to use C5 for traffic around three months yearly, so that cost drops to under 400€.

Insurance cost is nearly same for ZOE and C5, but yearly tax is 160€ compared to 750€. And fuel costs are 2,5€/100km versus 11€/100km.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Blimey! I'm sure Finland is a lovely country, but those costs are ridiculously high.

Marc