C5 Tourer Exclusive - Electrical Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

C5 Tourer Exclusive - Electrical Problem

Post by NAM »

Hi All
I have just posted a For Sale message for my C5 Exclusive Tourer but wanted to flag up the problem I am having which has prompted me to see if there is anyone out there who can fix the problem or has had similar issues.
The issue is that when I start the car all number of alarms and warnings come on telling me that there is a problem with the braking system. The electronic handbrake won't disengage either so I can't drive off. The manual release worked for a while (and allowed me to take the car to my local garage) but the auto electrician reckons it could be an expensive fix and wasn't 100% sure what it might be either.
So if you have had similar you might be able to point me in the right direction or if there is somebody who wants to have a look please reply to my For Sale message.
It is a real pit as the car has been fantastic - is in immaculate condition inside and out and serviced by Citroen every year. I've only recently had rear discs and pads fitted and last year had new wiper motors fitted.
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 Tourer Exclusive - Electrical Problem

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Did you read the special notes in the manual where you have applied the emergency release?
This strap does not permit application of the parking brake.

To re-engage the electronic parking brake (after rectifying the malfunction or battery failure), give a long pull on the control 'A' (which is the parking brake switch) until the parking brake warning lamp (!) flashes on the instrument panel then give a second long pull until this warning lamp is lit permanently.

The time required for the subsequent application may be longer than during normal operation.

It is essential that the ignition is not switched on until the parking brake has re-engaged (flashing of the warning lamp (!) on the instrument panel then warning lamp lit permanently) to avoid damage to the parking brake.

Take care not to allow moisture or dust in the proximity of the diagnostic socket D which is essential for the maintenance of your vehicle.
If it has not been properly re-engaged it will lead to ongoing issues. The bit people forget is not to switch the ignition / engine on before the long pull of the parking brake switch to re-engage the handbrake cables.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Thanks Marc for your reply - yes I always make sure that the brake is re-engaged and in fact yesterday I tried the car again and it more or less worked first time - still a few messages but the handbrake did release and I could drive the car round the block without any issues.

I am pretty sure this can be fixed but I have just purchased a 2016 Tourer VTR+ so I am hoping to find someone on the forum who would like the car and can sort out the problem. The car is immaculate and drives well - we just returned from Scotland before this issue came up and didn't have any problems at all.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, just for info, although the EPB has its own ECU, it is controlled directly by the ESP / ABS ECU.

It really needs a Diagbox diagnostic running on it for the fault codes as many of these are constructor-specific codes and won't necessarily be able to be read with other diagnostic kit. I could then let you know what it is not happy about.

But good luck with the sale - if the electronic parking brake is functioning, then it may only be something relatively minor I suspect, or may sort itself out with use.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

I'm pleased to report that I sold the car today after an on line auction. The guy who bought it is in the Trade and told me he had seen it all before and knew how to fix the problem. I guess when you aren't paying upwards of £50 an hour (double that for Main Dealer) the maths add up better than on this side of the fence.
Anyway - have a 2016 version now with low miles so hopeful of trouble free motoring for a few years!
Greg2791
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Mk3 2.0L 160HP 2010
C5 Aircross 2023 hybrid C series
Previous:
C5 MkI 2003 1,8L petrol
C3 Aircross 2020 1.2Puretec

Post by Greg2791 »

My car had similar issue (all alarms around hand brake and ESP/ABS) -when I fill the tank up to the cap. So I guess there must be a connector/wires near the tank - when is full it squeeze them.
I spot it , because the issue started twice at the petrol station. It was were weird. SO since that I never fill my tank full - no issue for 2 years.