Xsara VTR 94K or 39K. **update 1.6 gets bought.**

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Xsara VTR 94K or 39K. **update 1.6 gets bought.**

Post by Stuart McB »

Just been and had a look at 2 Xsara VTR's at at local dealer. One is a 1998 "S" reg 1.6 with a full citroen service history 2 local owners and 39k on the clock. It's a local car sold by my local Citroen dealer down the road from me, in a metallic dark green, its got the usual bits for the model. The other is a 1.8 16 valve VTR in helios gold with air con, Citroen multi stack CD player disk brakes all around all the blah but 94k on the clock. A 1999 "T" reg and is X lease but has a full service history from various peugeot, Citroen and other garages in the West Counrty. Again only 2 owners the last being a local chap. Now the problem I've got is the dealer has offered me £500 on my "L" reg ZX TD (146K) and has said I can have either for £2499. Both in very good condition. The 1.6 is ready to go and I've had one before so I know whats what the 1.8 is having the gear selector (stick) bushes replaced. Which should I go for. I love the look of the 1.8 and it's sporty interior, white dials, rap around seats, air con, 6 speaker stereo, sexy alloys and body colour but I'm put off by the millage (and the group 11 insurance). I'd have no problems if it were 94k on a diesel but it's a petrol. Any basic advice on high milage Citroen pertol engines. So far I'm leaning towards the 1.6 again. [?]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'd be inclined to go for the 1.8. It sounds like its the one you really want, and you'll only be disappointed if you get the 1.6!
If the 1.6 has rear drums, I'd guess it has no ABS, which is a big point in favour of the 1.8.
Modern petrol engines always seem to be fine nowadays. Certainly with Cits, the other bits of the car (especially electrics) seem to go tits-up before the engine. In which case the newer car is probably the better.
Just make sure the air-con works properly though!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

You do sound like your heart wants the sporty one, but your head's winning at the moment.
Personally, I'd shy away from the 1.8 because of the mileage. I've seen some of the lease cars our boys at work have turned in. They all have full FSH, but are mechanically stuffed.
IMO, the service intervals are set high to reduce fleet running costs, not to increase the longevity of the car for the third / forth etc owner. Once the car has reached the end of it's useful life (100K) as a company car they're falling apart. The selector bushes failing are probably indicative of things to come.
If you add 25K to the car before you want to sell it, the 1.6 is still low mileage - the 1.8 is going to be hard to shift at 120K for reasonable money especially as it has a high insurance group.
Shame the 1.6 is that nasty green colour though......
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Go for the 1.8, you will always be comparing the 1.6 to it, and wondering if it would have been better and vice versa, I always did after having a 205 Gti 1.6 after lusting after the 1.9, But if ypu always going to be worried about the miles don't bother.
everythings a gamble after all, the low miler may have just chugged around all its life, which isn't really good for any car.
I have tried both and wouldn't hesitate about the 1.8 just make sure the coolant side is ok, and not getting to hot
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Well thats it then. Took the wife with me to have a look. Long story short, the green (forest green ) VTR 1.6 is coming home next week end. For all the gold VTR's bits, air con, disc brakes all round, CD player etc it still had 94k on the clock. The deal was very good as well, 12 months MOT (new) 6 months tax and 2 month warranty. I get to keep my CD player as well. So can't complain. the insurance has gone up a little but only £23. Thanks for the info guys. [:D][:D]