Double Relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sally
My Cars:

Double Relay

Post by Sally »

I have a 2002 Peugoet 206 which has just had the double relay replaced - being a girl I have no idea what this is, but find it quite worrying it would break on my car in less than 2 years.
Pls help - what is this thing and why has it broken so quickly?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

A relay is a standard electrical component, normally used to switch in a circuit or device when a particular condition is met. The description "double relay" doesn't mean much to me - were you aware of a problem with the car before the garage said this item needed replacing? What did it say on the bill?
PS - it's often good practice to ask to the garage to give you the "broken" part - though electrical parts won't often show causes of failure. If this is the case then you can probably identify it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Sally, it might be better in future if you have a problem with your car to ask for advice here before going to a garage.. That way you will have a good idea as to what you can expect to pay, and exactly what the problem was.. [:)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

unfortunaty failure of the double relay is a common problem,it is two relays in one unit that contols the power to the fuel pump + the injetion ECU sensors.
what were the symptoms ? non start ? cutting out ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

yep - had that double relay go in a 206 a couple of years ago.
No electric schematics - took me best part of 2 weeks to find it and decide it was the cause of the problem.
Problem in this case :
The engine suddenly refused to start with a happy cranking starter engine.
Ignition was checked perfect, injector was dry as Sahara.
When left for 2 days it would suddenly start again and ran perfect. Later on the day (going home from work) it still started and ran perfect.
But left overnight is was a non-starter. Only after 2-3 days it suddenly started perfect again.
Some fiddling with connectors dislodged and refitted made it a sure starter too. Probably because a live battery circuit was then disconnected momentarily re-setting the fault condition.
This double relay was disassembled, relay contacts careful rubbed down, gating diodes checked, PCB tracks microscoped, soldering joints microscoped and resoldered, coils ohmed .... nothing was found, and nothing helped.
- except replacing the relay.
My conclusion was that the relay simply was mechanically unstable.