205 GTi Stutter!?!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NeilC

205 GTi Stutter!?!

Post by NeilC »

Hello,
Can I ask the forum advice on an engine "stutter" which has appeared at below 2000 rpm.
Above this the engine seems to pull fine with no problem, but at low revs it stutters and struggles to accelerate! Does this sound like a standard problem? and where should I be looking to fix it?
Many Thanks
NeilC
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

could be the air flow meter (bit before the air box with the plug going in) as they tend to die quite often and result in bad running. Or it could be plugs/leads. Been a while since ive run one of my old 1.6's but thats what experience I had before
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

Many Thanks for this, I just received the same tip from a mate.
Thinking of binning the whole Air Flow system for the K&N Induction kit anyway, as the car is going into full Rally Spec for the Peugeot Challenge. I presume this would therefore replace the airflow meter?
Cheers
NeilC
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

nah the k&n just goes on instead of the filter box. You still need the air flow sensor. The full kit comes with a new section from the inlet manifold to the air flow sensor so it goes sideways towards the headlight instead of 90 degrees towards the bulkhead. Then the airflow sensor mounts on that and then the cone on the end behind the headlight. There are 2 versions depending on if your 205 has power steering or not.
You may want to check the regs for the 205 challenge first as they are very strick on rules. I expect they allow k&n's but best find out first. Theres normally a few air flow sensors on ebay. I think i have 2/3 in my garage. I know 1 didnt work right but which one i dont know :) Other option would be to take it apart as much as possible and try and clean the gate bit up and the sensor inside.
Hmm where are you as I have a 1.6 engine in my garage I want rid of for minimal amount, £10 or something as long as someone collects. It was the best 1.6 I ever used and it came with my rally visa when i got it so may have been blue printed. Dont think it had different cams but was still sweet. Complete with box and ancillaries just not been run in about 2.5 years. Im down in east sussex if youre interested at all
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

Darren Hi..
SOLD..
Have sent you an email!
Many Thanks
Neil
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

um which email address did you send too as i only got the normal spam ones today, no others :) darren@visagti.co.uk
cheers
Darren
MartinR
My Cars:

Post by MartinR »

rebuild the AFM. Its very easy to do. You need an 8 or 9mm spanner (cant remember the size) a stanley knife, some sealant like Blue Hylomar and a little patience.
Also dont bother with the K&N, its truly a waste of money. Makes more noise and gains you no power.
MartinR
My Cars:

Post by MartinR »

silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

hi i ve got a 1.9 205gti which has the "stutter" low down in the rev range but particuarly when its cold. its a pain! just boot it it goes away then! i got a K&N on mine but it pinks loads, i think its because its drawing in hot air from arond the engine. any ideas? trouble is where it sits theres no decent airflow, unless you take the head light out. sounds good though with the K&N on!
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Scrap the K+N and look for a forced air induction kit, its the only thing that will give a noticeable power difference. Also try running it without an air filter on and see if it still splutters low down. A dirty K+N can cause loads of problems, more than a standard dirty filter.
Would also reccomend chucking some redex in the tank and giving it a good blast out to get the injectors nice and clean.
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

cheers i might try the forced air kit. i ve tried blowing the K&N through with compressed air. but it made no difference. i think the injectors need replacing because i ve tried various injector cleaning solotions but none have worked. do gsf sell them? i know they do injectors for diesel peugeots.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

K&N's need to be washed and re-oiled, not just blown out like other foam filters. The filter element itself is slightly damp, to hold the muck so blowing it with an air line won't help.