Sticky plastics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2cvandy

Sticky plastics

Post by 2cvandy »

Any recommendations for a cleaning product that will remove the sticky, oily mess from my C5's facia / glovebox lid ?
TIA
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Sticky plastics

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very difficult as the plastics / rubberised coatings start to breakdown. As with various household electrical appliances with this sort of coating, I have used isopropyl alcohol to get rid of most of it and then, depending on what it is, use a small amount of talc to remove the 'tackiness'.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Post by mickthemaverick »

On my C5's which suffered from the tacky plastic syndrome on the door trims as well as the dash I cleaned them with a soft cloth and original Swarfega. It left the surfaces oil free and once dry I sprayed them with clearcoat laquer which is made for plastic headlight lenses and they stayed tack free until I moved the cars on!! :)
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

If it's the 'rubber feel' clear coating that now fashionanly applied to remote controls, weather station displays, and even paperback books, it's a real pain. I think it's a water-based emulsion coating, that dries to a matt and rubber-like smooth feel. It can be removed, or cleaned-up (after a fashion) with detergent and water, but it's a mucky process that will eventually reveal the surface underneath. Not sure what the coating is, but it could be a PVA compound.
2cvandy

Post by 2cvandy »

Okay, mucky dash cleaned with cif, on recommendation from the missus.
Came up beautifully clean, but still tacky.
Just spent an hour buffing it up with an old towel, and the tackiness is gone. \:D/
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Always worth listening to the wife, but beware; now she knows you know how to clean things properly you might find yourself being lumbered with cleaning the house! :D
2cvandy

Post by 2cvandy »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:38
Always worth listening to the wife, but beware; now she knows you know how to clean things properly you might find yourself being lumbered with cleaning the house! :D
:-D
too late, there's 5 motorbikes and a 2CV in the garage, she already knows that I am aware of how polishing cloths work :-D
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

The tackiness can be swatted with an application of talcum powder - but try a small area first, in case any whiteness doesn't disappear. Just remembered we had the same issue with a grey 'rubbery' pair of binoculars, where talc did work well. Yukky stuff.