207 cc Rear Brakes not working.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Colin2206
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 207 CC

207 cc Rear Brakes not working.

Post by Colin2206 »

My wife started to use her car now that she has had two jags.
The rear brakes were in a poor way with sitting around doing nothing for a year.
I've replaced the discs, complete with bearing and speed ring and all brake shoes.
I retracted the calliper piston with a with a special tool I've used before, opening the bleed nipple, for the expelled fluid. Everything has been cleaned and grease and the system bled. Hydraulic oil is fresh and topped up. All things I have done before. I've loosened the handbrake right off. The braked pedal has good firm pressure. But the brakes don't work. Even with the pedal firmly depressed neither brake works. I've pumped on the pedal several hundred times now, leaving it for a few hours between each bout but still the wheels spin by hand.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome, I'm getting desperate.

ColinJames.
Colin2206
(Donor 2022)

Re: 207 cc Rear Brakes not working.

Post by Colin2206 »

Sorry, it is pads, obviously, don't know why I said shoes!
Colin2206
(Donor 2022)

Re: 207 cc Rear Brakes not working.

Post by Colin2206 »

Well managed to get the thing working.
As I said the car hasn't been used for a while and although I put several hundred miles on the car in the last month, the discs were in a poor state. What I should have realized was that the callipers were not effective. They pushed the pads against the disc but not with any real pressure. Both callipers were seized. I guess from standing around for a year doing very little.
I stripped both down, cleaned with soft cloth and fresh fluid, and re-assembled with the existing seals which looked physically good. Working ok now. I have checked them daily and all ok so far. Refurbishment kits are available and as the 100,000 miles service is coming up, I'll do them then.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.