Pressure bleeders - what does the team think?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Pressure bleeders - what does the team think?

Post by uhn113x »

Hi all
After several decades of bleeding brakes using conventional methods (when my cars have been new enough to have hydraulic brakes! [;)]) I have decided, now that half of the fleet has 'conventional' brakes, to invest in a pressure bleeder.
What are your opinions on the best one available?
I would prefer one that pressurises itself without the assistance of an airline or spare wheel - excessive pratabout factor. Oh, and a reasonable price, as well.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've got a Gunsons eezibleed, that does run off of a spare tyre (although you'll need to let the tyre down to 20 PSI before you begin).
Does just what it claims to do, makes bleeding very easy indeed, costs about a tenner.
Much less pratting about than doing them manually, and I've found it less error prone than shouting "DOWN", "UP", "DOWN" etc at my 8 year old "helper" from under the car.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, I have used the eezibleed with success.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think there was review of brake bleeders in Practical Classics a few months back -I'll dig it out and see what it says.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

The eezibleed really does work, the only problem I had was obtaining a cap that would fit some of the master cylinders on some of my cars, you need to drill a hole in this cap to attach the eezibleed to it, the ones supplied do not fit all cars and Gunsons cannot supply all caps. I did manage to get one for my Honda Aerodeck from a scrappy.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

As above; I have had an easibleed for years and its excellent; the only thing to note when using it is to ensure the spare pressure is low, otherwise you will see your fluid reservoir bulge and stretch like you wouldnt believe possible, entertaining to watch but potentially very messy!!!
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Draper do a couple of kits - if you've got a compressor at home then BBK3A (or 71205 depending on what number you pick off the box!) looks worth a look. Simple kit with a number of bottles and basically acts to circulate your old fluid and replace it with clean as it goes. Should be about £20+VAT
There's also a vacuum version BBK2 (56785) which is more expensive but doesn't need an airline (about £42+VAT)
Adrian
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I quite often bleed brakes without a helper. I let the fluid drain through then get the last of the air out by pushing the brake's piston in.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks, everyone.
Eezibleed seems to be well thought of, but I did really want to avoid either running compressor or letting spare down, though.
Richard
I would be very interested in this article of you find it
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mike,
I'd give Eezibleed a top vote as well, I've two and been using them for ages...perhaps 20yrs.
What I do, because it suits me, is to have a "spare" spare wheel, just get one from the breakers. I agree using the vehicle's own spare would be an extra hassle.
As stated above 20psi is about a max for bleeding through, in some cases nearer 15psi is best. Then as you bleed a complete system the tyre will drop to perhaps 8-10psi halfway through the job and need inflating to 20psi again.
Of course I do this with a compressor but no hardship to use a footpump if required.
I also have an expensive vacuum bleeder but have never liked it, any leak on the bleed nipple threads causes bubbles that you think are from the system.
David
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi David
Eezibleed it is, then. I did not like the idea of a vacuum bleeder, either, as you should be increasing, not decreasing pressure; I can visualise air being drawn past m/cyl seals as well. I will have to use the top two of my pile of 2CV wheels, and try to remember to inflate them next time I run the compressor!!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have one but cannot get it to seal on top of the LHM reservoir;)
Stewart
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Nice one.