engine swap will it

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dham160
My Cars:

engine swap will it

Post by dham160 »

will a late zx 2.0 16v(167bhp) engine fit in early 2.016v(150bhp) ,ecu will have to be changed but would there have to be any other changes or mods if can find one .or would the xsara vts engine fit
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

They're the same basic block so there should be no problem swapping them. As you say ECU will need to be swapped and may be worth swapping as complete an engine as possible.
Some wiring plugs may need to be changed if Citroen changed them in that period, but I doubt it.
Xsara VTS engine will almost certainly fit, although there are greater differences. Inlet manifold is completely different as Citroen did away with the variable inlet tracts.
If it was me I'd want to park a VTS next to it and check clearances to the radiator and wiring for major differences.
Bare in mind VTS has air-con as standard - does your ZX have it? If not you can dispose with the compressor from the Xsara and use a shorter belt.
VTS produces a solid 167BHP with bags of torque in a Xsara which weighs plenty more than a ZX so should be 'lively' [;)] Not sure there are many late ZX's about with the 167 engine and I'd say the Xsara option was better as you do away with the reliability problems....
Come to the French Car Show at the end of May bank holiday (it's at Bruntingthorpe) and you should find a Xsara and a ZX there to compare if yours can't get there!
Adrian
dham160
My Cars:

Post by dham160 »

thanks for the info shall look into vts option