C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 exhaust shield rattle?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danlat1415
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 1.6 HDi (semi auto Deisel)

C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 exhaust shield rattle?

Post by danlat1415 »

Hi all, I've got a 2014 Citroen C4 Picasso (B78).

Whenever I go over a speed bump or sharp bump, I can hear a single 'rattle' noise (not constant, just once each bump).

It sounds like a heat shield rattle, like really thin metal.

It sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the car, but the exhaust is on the left side.

I've had a quick look under the car and I can only see the exhaust heat shield exposed on the left side of the car right at the backbox of the exhaust, but it doesn't feel loose at all. The rest of the underside is covered in plastic protective panels.

If I bang of some of the plastic panels, there is lots of small road stones trapped in them that fall out when I hit it.

I'm trying to identify what the potential rattle sound is coming from.

It doesn't do it in normal driving, only when going over a harsh bump or speed bump.
It sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the driving position (not the front of the car, but middle or back).
It's not a rattle that makes a few rattle sounds each time, it appears to be a single thin metal sounding 'ting/clink' noise.

I've checked the rear brake shields and they're not loose.

Is anyone able to tell me where there are potential heat shields under the car (ideally on the right side - driver side in UK), or anything else that could potentially make that noise?

Thank you
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 exhaust shield rattle?

Post by moizeau »

I'd suggest taking all the plastic covers off. Sounds underneath the car can resonate and echo to the point that the actual area is no where near where you think. I've just had a RH RR wheel bearing go but was sure it was the left.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone