Renault Clio Headlights and Indicators

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

Renault Clio Headlights and Indicators

Post by beemernut »

My wife is a driving instructor and has a 67plate Clio as her school car.

This morning whilst going to her first lesson in bright daylight the headlights came on - she had them on the auto setting. She tried turning the lights off but couldn't, the only way to stop them from being lit was to stop and start the car, Later on, on her second lesson, the pupil was turning left and the dashboard indicator repeaters went as fast as they would if a bulb had blown. They pulled over and she got the pupil to switch on the hazard lights whilst she walked around the car, only the right hand indicators were flashing - nothing on the left hand side. Once again she got the pupil to stop and restart the engine after which the indicators worked as they should do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would have caused this as the car is being used for a test on Wednesday, she has got it booked into a dealer tomorrow but just incase they can't find the problem.
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Renault Clio Headlights and Indicators

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Sorry I cant help out Beemernut. Earlier versions of the Clio suffered from notorious bad earthing/ connections at the rear light clusters, causing all sorts of weird lighting behaviour, but probably irrelevant to your 67 reg Clio.

Hope it gets sorted out by the professionals. If it gets resolved it would be useful for others who may have the same problem, if you could post up their conclusions and hopefully the fix. :-D .

Good luck

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
beemernut
My Cars:

Post by beemernut »

The car was in a Renault dealer for the day, they have said that the light switch is faulty and are going to replace it next Wednesday. I'll keep you posted once the change is made. Unfortunately I won't be able to let you know how much this has cost as the car is a lease car.
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

beemernut wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 20:14 My wife is a driving instructor and has a 67plate Clio as her school car.

the car is being used for a test on Wednesday, she has got it booked into a dealer tomorrow but just incase they can't find the problem.
Is it usable for the test?

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
beemernut
My Cars:

Post by beemernut »

It's an intermittent fault - it happened a couple of times yesterday morning but all was fine tonight after picking up the car, I followed my wife home from Dundee which is about 15 to 20 miles, and the indicators worked at all junctions.

The only concern for the test would be the left indicators not working, in which case the pupil should be able to recognise the difference in speed of the indicator dashboard repeater to know that the fault is present and they can then revert to using arm signals for left turns.
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990