C5 Hdi Loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willsher13
My Cars:

C5 Hdi Loss of power

Post by willsher13 »

I've had a problem with my C5 Hdi for well over 6 months now & after numerous return visits to the dealer am no closer to a resolution.
The first 5 mins after start up each morning the vehicle has absoultuley no power to the point where it's unsafe to pull out into traffic for fear of someone running up the back. The local dealer has engaged assistance from the gurus in Sydney and despite the discovery of many fault conditions, including the occassional Anti-pollution fault they still don't know what's wrong.
They've upgraded the software more times than I can remember but have only changed one hardware component, the ECU. This problem is also coupled with a general lack of power while general driving as well as an increased avg fuel consumption up to 7.5L/100Km from the original 6.8L/100Km.
I've read a number of owner reports from Europe on the web that seem to point to a Turbo problem but I'm yet to convince the dealer to cahnge it out.
Has anyone had a similar problem or can anyone offer a suggestion?
Regards
Dave W
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Could be the turbo's wastegate stuck.
On my Frontera (Rodeo for you guys), i once disconected the turbo wastegate vacum hose to see how it went: no power at all.
Have they checked too all the incomeing sensors (MAp, pressure, ect)?
You see, when in limp mode, the car consumes more fuel, since the ECU establishes a predetermined flow of air, constant from 0 to 5000 rpm.
I bet it's the turbo/wastegate. if i'm not mistaken, these turbos use an axial "wastegate" to control the exaust flow over the turbine, instead of the radial type as seen on VW's, for instance. This axial type seems, to me, more prone to getting stuck.
All the best,
Patxi
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

The electovalves that control the EGR and Turbo can cause problems when not working correctly. You could try swapping them over and see if anything changes. They are black units with . i think, 3 vacuum pipes coming out of. Also a loss of vacuum from any of these pipes can cause a problem. Check them over carefully.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the electrovalves have 2pin connectors on them but just 2 pipes on them.
willsher13
My Cars:

Post by willsher13 »

Thanks guys, I'd like to check for any leaks, where in the engine bay is the turbo located, I lift the bonnet & am confronted by a plastic shroud.
Regards
Dave
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Remove the plastic (rotate the - if like on the 2.0Hdi - 4 "buttons" a quarter turn and pull them, but be carefull when putting them back; use a drop of cyano just in case[;)]).
The turbo is located on the back of the engine. On the 2.0Hdi it's very hard to see. if i'm not mistaken, the wastegate is pointing towards the right side of the car. Due to your steering layout (on the right) i don't know of any constraints that might appear.
All the best!
Patxi
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Okey doke, im gonna take another guess at your problem! The Anti-pollution fault indicates to me it could still be vacuum related. If there is a leak of vacuum from any vacuum hose on the Turbo/EGR/EGR Butterfly side of things, it will cause all sorts of problems. A gauge that can induce a vacuum is really needed to check for loss of vacuum.Operating the gauge slowly and reading the measured amount and watching for a loss vacuum is the best method.Only a small loss of vacuum is needed to cause a problem. But i trust your garage has done this....Is it a citroen dealer by any chance?
willsher13
My Cars:

Post by willsher13 »

Thanks to all who've replied. I've been taking the car to the only Citroen dealer in town but will do some of my own investigating now I know what to look for.
Regards
Dave W