Recycled air switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichBmth
My Cars:

Recycled air switch

Post by RichBmth »

'98 Xantia 1.8 16v SX
The sliding switch which controls selection of fresh or recycled air was rather stiff, I yanked it across really hard and something inside went snap and it lost it's resistance - so now, although the switch still slides fom side, to side it does nothing.[V]
So my question is; how is this switch connected to the flap or whatever behind it? is it a cable that I'll have to reattach somehow? and how do I go about removing the fascia to get to the necessary parts? Thanks for any input - it's not that much of a problem now but will be if we have another summer like last year necessitating constant use of the air - con.
Thanks again
Rich
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

Are you sure the cable has snapped and does'nt just have a kink in it like mine did, which will give the same feeling, no noise of vents opening shutting etc. The cable is the multi strand type so quite strong. After removing the front, I straightened the kink with a pair of long nose pliers and it works fine now, being gentle with it, its worked fine for over a year now. Hope this helps.
RichBmth
My Cars:

Post by RichBmth »

Thanks for the advice, hopefully that's all it is. just a small query though, how do I remove the fascia? can I just stick something pointy behind it and prise it off?, or will I risk breaking some kind of retaining clips? (I realise I'll have to remove the slider knobs first). Thanks once again
Rich
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
can I just stick something pointy behind it and prise it off?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:0][:(!]
If its anything like the pre 98 models:
Pull out ashtray, remove 2 torx screws and *gently* waggle the facia free (the top and sides just clip in place).
Remove the stereo for better access - 2 more torx screws.
You will then see the recycle control. If necessary detach the heater control panel - 4 torx screws and withdraw it from the dash as far as cables will permit.