C4GP Sill rusting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

discv
Donor 2020

C4GP Sill rusting

Post by discv »

My c4 grand pic. is just starting to show signs of paint blisters on the driver side sill, and being realistic I know I can be sure of things to come!
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

So, I am at a crossroad. A bit of filler and some black paint over stone chip is not my style.
The original sill looks to be part of the body shell. Service box seems to show a repair panel- and if I'm right about this- it would be a major task to fit.
This corrosion issue is very common on all Pics. since 1999.
What's my options?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C4GP Sill rusting

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As far as repairs go - there are both an outer sill and an outer section under the front door - both repairs require extensive cutting out at specific areas, the requisite repair parts, electrolytic re-zincing, sealing and spot welding. So if I were you, I'd perhaps get them rubbed down at a body shop, treated, primed and painted as a first possibility - so a check on what is actually going on - as it may just be some surface rust or moisture that is causing the paint bubbling and nothing to worry about if treated.
discv
Donor 2020

Post by discv »

Thanks Marc- I think your advice is good. The problem I have to overcome is that here in South London it will be near impossible to find a body shop that has the first clue.
There are still a few skilled guys about- but they operate in the area of vehicle restoration, where the rules are 'it costs what it costs' !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries - it may be worth looking at an accident repair place - that the insurers use if you have one near you. They can often give you a quick quote and may be less than you think.