Xantia TurboD Engine Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marcusloh
My Cars:

Xantia TurboD Engine Oil

Post by marcusloh »

Hi,
I have a niggling question on the issue of the amount of engine oil for my Xantia TurboD. I have been servicing my XTD with 5 litres of engine oil for the past 5 years and recently, i discovered that in the car manual, it was statedthat the amount should be 4 litres for XTD with Air-conditioning.
So, can anyone help me what is the right amount of engine oil and is synthetic or mineral oil better for a 5 year old XTD?
Thank you.
Marcusloh[:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I tried semi synthetic oil in my BX TD and thought it was noisier so next time used ordinary turbo diesel oil. Its done 192,000 miles and uses a negligible quantity of the stuff.
From another recent thread air con cars have a different sump and may hold less oil. the corrct amount is to the top mark on the dipstick with the car standing on level ground. I would add 4 litres, start the engine to fill the filter, (I deliberately don't heat the engine and wind it round on the starter until the pressure light goes out - have used the stop lever on the injection pump to prevent it firing) I would then top it up to the full mark. Overfilling can cause foaming problems if extreme and could result in siesure (very unlikely unless the crank is immersed in oil.)
Jeremy
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Marcus,
Like Jeremy experience tells me it is unwise to put in more than about 4-4.5l of oil, then run the car to circulate it into new filter and allow to drain back for *some* time before topping up to get a true level.
With respect to Jeremy though it is unlikely semi-syn would give any problems. In fact it is a much higher quality oil than a basic type and will help a great deal with the demands from a turbo diesel.
Not sure which brands are available in your region but any known quality brand 10-40 semi-syn should be fine.
David
marcusloh
My Cars:

Post by marcusloh »

Thanks for the advice, Jeremy & DJ. I am currently using the Caldex Delo 400 15 W40 oil that supposedly clears soot and prolong the life of the oil filter.
Marcusloh[:D]