ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
DanielG2021
Posts: 33
Joined: 09 Mar 2021, 14:08

ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by DanielG2021 »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me is it normal for the ESP light to come? I dropped some rubbish off at my local tip today and on the way out it’s a hill which bends at the top, I give the car some welly to get up and hit the bend then it’s and bend going down hill to join the main road but when I was joining the main road I noticed the ESP Button was flashing and the ESP was on the dash ? I’m sure I’ve only ever seen this come on when I had some wheel spin in the winter but the light never stayed on just flashed on the dash, I pressed the esp button today soon as I seen it and it went off.

I’m not entirely sure what the esp function does, hoping it’s normal and this isn’t more problems since I changed the EGR valve in March.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

The ESP is the Electronic Stability Programme. It is essentially your traction control and anti-skid assistance that works in addition to the Anti-lock braking system.

It is normal for the ESP lamp to flash on the instrument panel briefly, whilst the ESP is activated and countering a perceived skid or wheel spin, but it should not remain lit.

If there is a malfunction, it will remain lit and there will be a warning beep and a message on the multifunction screen. If it remains on then you need to get it checked out, as whilst this warning lamp is lit the system is deactivated.

The ESP button can be pressed to temporarily deactivate the system (if you wanted some wheel spin in the ice or snow for example). The lamp on the button will remain lit whilst you have manually deactivated the ESP system. However, when your reach a certain speed (circa 30 MPH) it automatically re-enables (assuming you do not have a fault), or whenever you restart the engine.

If after an engine restart, the ESP light remains lit in the instrument display, then you have a fault that needs investigating.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
DanielG2021
Posts: 33
Joined: 09 Mar 2021, 14:08

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by DanielG2021 »

Ah right this was light and on the dash, when I pulled out onto the main road when leaving the tip and I pressed the button and it went out but pressing again it wouldn’t come back on until I stopped the car and parked up it let me press it and put it on and off. It’s off because I got no warning beeps or anything, it was just on the dash solid and the esp button I’m sure was flashing
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

When you deactivate the ESP by pressing the button below:
ESP.PNG
Both the LED on the button and the ESP warning lamp in the instrument panel will light up. This means you have deactivated it.

Normally you should have no reason to disable it apart from certain conditions where you need wheel slip as I described.

If the ESP light flashed whilst you where going up the hill or round a bend, it likely detected a possible under or oversteer or loss of trajectory from where you wanted the car to go, so activated to increase torque or brake the relevant wheels to avoid this.

As long as there are no ESP warning lights on with the engine running and you have not pressed the ESP button you will be fine. But, as said, if the ESP light is permanently on in the dashboard, and you have NOT deactivated the ESP by pressing the button, you have a fault that needs checking out.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
DanielG2021
Posts: 33
Joined: 09 Mar 2021, 14:08

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by DanielG2021 »

Mine was as if I had pressed to take off the esp, can’t think how I could of pressed this by mistake and I was alone in the car. Strange but I’ve had off things happen before with this c4 like around Xmas I had this off ticking noise when I was driving at night and I noticed the all the lights that are usually lit up solid on the steering wheel where flashing and I could hear what sounded like the tick from the indicator. I pulled over switched engine off and I could hear the tick slowly disappear, started car and all was fine. I love the size and how contactable they C4GP But they seem very hit miss with electrics
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

They are notoriously bad with the electrics - especially under the engine fuse box - the looms are far too big and heavy for the cheap / thin wiring and poor insulation that causes the wiring inside the bundles to break causing intermittent shorts or worse that causes havoc.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
DanielG2021
Posts: 33
Joined: 09 Mar 2021, 14:08

Re: ESP light ? 1.6 07 egs C4GP

Unread post by DanielG2021 »

Yeah I also had esp/asr handbrake problem that I changed the egr on one of my previous posts. This was in March I’ve had about a month of no problems then about 3 weeks ago I got handbrake faulty but within seconds it disappeared on start up or just a service light and a beep then it went off within seconds so I could never put it on diagnostics. It seemed to happen when it was very cold morning I noticed it then after few days I took it on long run and got the battery tested the next morning which the garage said it was showing 12v 4 I’m sure he said and it was 44% charged but he said I’d advise you to change that. Since he checked the battery I haven’t had it happen again which is strange.