XANTIA PRICES

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40
My Cars:

XANTIA PRICES

Post by Dave40 »

I found this forum while looking for information on the Activa I was considering buying. 1997 P with 97,000 and an 'uncertain' service history. The dealer is asking £1200, is this resonable?
Having spent the day wandering through the various posts on this excellent site I find myself leaning towards a TD VSX.
My question now is what should I get for my £1200 if I don't go for the Activa. I drive about 10,000 miles a year and would expect to keep a car for 5 years at least.
All views and comments will be greatfully received.
jimthain
My Cars:

Post by jimthain »

i've an activa and would encourage anyone to buy one but the fuel costs are high. Each 300 to 330 miles is another tank of gas, a cool 50 quid and its insurance group 15 so that was a bit of a shock too!
On the flip side their great fun to drive and quiet rare!
Take it out for a test drive then make your choice 1200 quid is a fair price from a dealer!
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

Sounds pretty thirsty, £20 of diesel gets me 320 miles in my ZX. Don't know if I could get used to such a hike in fuel costs.
Any VSX owners out there got any views?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I'm pleased as punch with my TD VSX (94 M); seems to outcorner anything from Bayern Motor Werken et all, extremely comfortable (can ONLY just tell when full hard mode switches in, but it takes some very brave pulling at the steering wheel) and i'm getting 47-48mpg on my commuter run every day. There are always the fears of if a sensor or the ECU starts playing daft sods, but no more than a petrol car! At least i don't have an engine ECU (being an early one)..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Citroen garage up the road from me in Lanark has got a 99V HDi 110 SX hatch with 42k. They've only got £4595 on the screen!!!! How cheap is that....????
Unfortunately not cheap enough for me..... Oh well, one day!
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

I have a 1997 2.1VSX and enjoy the level of spec along with the punchy, relaxed engine. I paid £1500 but expect to spend some money over the next year (have just reconned the injectors for £105). Having said that, I was originally looking for an Activa and saw several. Prices ranged from £2000 for a '97 R reg one owner with 57k and full history through £2400 for an S reg at 60k. There was also a V reg with 125k and uncertain history through County Liquidations that eventually went for £1400 on Ebay and a friend's friend bought his at auction for about the same.
Prices vary hugely. You need to judge just what the car will deliver for you - do you want economy and relaxed motorway cruising (go for a diesel) or performance off the line and outstanding roadholding (Activa)?
Remember that the Hydractive suspension on the VSX goes a fair way towards the ARC system in the Activa, and will outperform most drivers. Let's face it; most of us don't get anywhere near the limits of our cars - at least, not intentionally.
Whatever you buy, it is almost certain you will see what appears to be a better deal the very next day!